• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 Ranger XLT 4X4 A/C Compressor

rcknrog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
I have Ford dealer installed A/C on my Dads old Ranger and can not find a replacement A/C compressor for the truck. A repair shop has ordered matching part/serial number for the comp on the truck and nothing has matched up. beginning to feel like I will not get the A/C working again. Any help is greatly appreciated and will be passed along to my repair guy. Roger

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You can't call this place and get anything to work?

It's been my experience you can't buy anything local anymore. They never have anything in stock and make you feel like you are aggravating them if you ask a question. From what you describe, I would have my doubts about the repair shop you are using also. They are relying on you to find a compressor? They have given you no options at all?

And they wonder why everything has gone to the internet.

rcknrog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
The shop is legit and has ordered several compressors that did not fit. I have not been asked to find the part this is just me doing what I can do to try and get my A/C working. I do not know of a shop that does not rely on the web to find and order parts. Thanks for your reply, but an exhaustive search has been ongoing to find this compressor which is why I am know searching for a silver bullet on this thread and others.
Roger

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Do a search on the part number.

I'd look to Rock Auto as well.

rcknrog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you, we have ordered using the serial # and it arrived and did not fit. thanks for the Rock auto direction:)

Roger

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Do you have a pic of the old compressor?

rcknrog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
I’m thinking of removing it from the truck so I can shop it around with a good look at all angles or take legitimate pictures of all angles give myself a better chance of finding it. Thanks for your time and interest. Roger

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Do you know what doesn't fit about it? The mounting bolt pattern? Or the line location? Or the line configuration?

Go to one of the parts stores online and look up a a/c compressor for a 1998 Ford ranger 3.0 MFI. I happened to have this in my vehicle list on autozone, and the compressor for it looks very much like your picture above. 4 bolt mount and the manifold type lines in the rear and a serpentine belt setup. Autozone part number 58132.

[imhttps://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/cwa/58132/image/2/g][/img]

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
The picture looks like the one I have on my spare 2.9 out of an 88 Bronco II.

rcknrog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Do you know what doesn't fit about it? The mounting bolt pattern? Or the line location? Or the line configuration?

Go to one of the parts stores online and look up a a/c compressor for a 1998 Ford ranger 3.0 MFI. I happened to have this in my vehicle list on autozone, and the compressor for it looks very much like your picture above. 4 bolt mount and the manifold type lines in the rear and a serpentine belt setup. Autozone part number 58132.

[imhttps://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/cwa/58132/image/2/g][/img]
There have been several versions attempted I don’t know what the fitment problems were with each attempt the last one we tried yesterday had something to do with the pulley I’m going to share this information with the guy that was working on my truck and research the compressor you’re referencing and check it all out I appreciate the information I’ll let you know how it works out thank you Roger

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals