• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 ranger diesel conversion

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
From my research A/N and JIC are the same design, and will interchange. The A/N are built to higher specs for military use and therefore more expensive. JIC are good enough for 1/10th the cost.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Good progress! It'll be a sweet truck when your done. Lord knows ol Henry Ford would appreciate the Kraut motor in there lol.

As for venting the case/covers, running through a traditional "sealed" catch can before a vented breather tank should eliminate all the mist that would normally escape the filter on a "just breather" setup.

How reliable are the old merc diesels? I was looking into buying a newer c class.. until I realized the general consensus was a Mercedes was not a vehicle you wanted to own out of warrentee lol.

Just search om617 and read about them they are very reliable and last a long time if maintained

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual

I modified the wiper linkage door to a piece of 16 gauge. The picture doesn't do it justice but I was able to eliminate the step over to make it a nice rolling arc. Shoulf make it easier to pull the valve cover to do maintenance.

I had to notch the cross member slightly to get engine back as the flange of the pan is wider it needed clearance. I actually cut more after this picture but never took another. I will plate it with the same thickness of material when I know where everything is going to sit.

By doing this I was able to get the full additional 2inches I notched the pan for. I think I'm done but I may be able to another 1/2 inch. I'm hopeful that my trans is going to be in relatively the same spot as factory but will have to see and go from there.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual

The motor is mounted it's nice and solid.

I'm back as far as I can go before I'd have to start cutting firewall. I also have the motor about 1.5" to the passenger side to help accommodate the fuel tank and me when driving.

I ended up using a 1/2" spacer on the trans mount to get it sitting happy.

I'll have to pull the motor one more time to finish weld the mount on the truck side. And then I can paint all the bare metal when I get it to that stage.

I also have to repair that cross over brake line I accidentally got with the zip disc.

All and all I'm happy with how this is turning out. Now just the fiddle work of wiring and plumbing

This is the passenger side mount.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You mentioned previous leaks where the oil return lines enter the pan. I had an '85 300SD with the OM 617. I had a lot of leaks in that area also. What I figured out was that crankcase pressure was too high. My engine was apparently blowing by quite a bit.

The breather tube that went from engine to the catch can in the air filter housing was very restrictive. It was a flat profile tube so it would fit under the hood in the car. I was able to replace it with larger rubber hose and that made the difference for me. The oil leaks stopped completely.
Engine still smoked.

Just mentioning this as a reminder to watch crankcase pressure as your engine ages.

I had considered using that engine in my 93 Ranger. But the rebuild cost was way too high for me. Rebuild kit plus finding transmission adaptor, engine mounts, and everything else to make it work just seemed too expensive for my taste. Finally sold the car last.month.

Good luck. I'll be watching this build since diesel is what I really wanted to do.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
You mentioned previous leaks where the oil return lines enter the pan. I had an '85 300SD with the OM 617. I had a lot of leaks in that area also. What I figured out was that crankcase pressure was too high. My engine was apparently blowing by quite a bit.

The breather tube that went from engine to the catch can in the air filter housing was very restrictive. It was a flat profile tube so it would fit under the hood in the car. I was able to replace it with larger rubber hose and that made the difference for me. The oil leaks stopped completely.
Engine still smoked.

Just mentioning this as a reminder to watch crankcase pressure as your engine ages.

I had considered using that engine in my 93 Ranger. But the rebuild cost was way too high for me. Rebuild kit plus finding transmission adaptor, engine mounts, and everything else to make it work just seemed too expensive for my taste. Finally sold the car last.month.

Good luck. I'll be watching this build since diesel is what I really wanted to do.
Yes the crank case breather was pinched when I got in there. It will be all new line now but I think it was even pushing oil out the rope seal at the back. I had replaced the rope seal when I initially used the motor but thats close on 7 years ago.

I also found that it like conventional oil more then synthetics leaked less. I wont know until I run it but it's fairly clean right now it should show leaks when I run it

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual

I miss is a good as a mile.

The pulley to the power steering has close on 3/4" to the rad.

I had to cut the bottom brackets off for the rad and cut into the core support just a bit to bring it forward. And then I moved it 2 inches passenger the passenger bottom mount i have to make it bolt on and Intall it after rad is in place. I also had to notch out the core at the top for the upper mounts to sink way in. Progress is progress

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual

I took a piece of 1/2 flat bar drill and tapped it for 3/8 NC and cut out the bottom of the core and weld in my plate to bolt too. I know I built it over kill but scrap bin you use what you can get.

Closer.

Hope to get clutch and brake pedals after work tomorrow from jy. Then its fuel system. I'm really not that far off. But with 3 kids time is hard to come by but its getting there

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual

I went out to the junk yard and attempted to remove ththe pedal assembly went screw that borrowed a cordless sawzall and cut the tube that is fitted to the clutch pedal. Got tall the bits and bushings.

Came home grabbed a piece of 5/8 cold rolled put a 1/2" NC thread on a inch of it.

Made a little bushing with 1/2 NC thread welded it to the clutch arm now I can install with out hating life. I also added a grub screw to the thread and some blue loctite.

I installed all the bushing and cut a groove for the c clip into the shaft.

I removed the fuel tank washed it out dried it out with my leaf blower and re installed it.

I highly recommend running a die over your bolts before re installing a tank made it a dream.

Just a little up date.

Ps. May buy and ram a big front mount intercooler in this thing.
If I can get it past my wife

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i want to strip the frame and blast it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Stripping and blasting is only allowed in the Tailgate.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Oh the replies I would love to post.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals