• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 Ranger 2wd 4.0L A4LD vacuum module issue

Matt71

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Reaching out for help. My son's Ranger quit shifting past 3rd gear. After reading up on this site, you guys are awesome, I replaced the vacuum module. I made sure the pin was installed and removed the aluminum piston valve to make sure it moved freely. There was no fluid in the vacuum line. Now the truck won't shift out of 1st gear. When I change the gear selector to 2 it shifts to 2nd. Do I need to adjust the module? The module has an allen screw in it. Time for a fluid and filter change? The truck has just over 100k on it. Fluid that came out didn't smell burnt and was still red.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: DE2235E7692E8C: July 5th, 2021

ford4wd08

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This sounds oddly familiar lol, but I had some self induced issues.

You have a 2 solenoid valve body. OD is controlled by a solenoid. Sounds like your solenoid is not working if you cant get past 3rd. Other solenoid is for Torque Converter lockup.

If your new modulator is adjustable, you can adjust that first to see if it will shift. You might change back to your old modulator and see if you can shift back through 3rd.

If the modulator didn't have trans fluid in line, it was likely ok.

One two shift is also controlled by the governor in the tail housing. It can get hung up and is a little involved to get too, but let's start on easier items first.

Let's get it shifting 1-3 first, then worry about OD.

Matt71

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
This sounds oddly familiar lol, but I had some self induced issues.

You have a 2 solenoid valve body. OD is controlled by a solenoid. Sounds like your solenoid is not working if you cant get past 3rd. Other solenoid is for Torque Converter lockup.

If your new modulator is adjustable, you can adjustment that first to see if it will shift. You might change back to your old modulator and see if you can shift back through 3rd.

If the modulator didn't have trans fluid in line, it was likely ok.

One two shift is also controlled by the governor in the tail housing. It can get hung up and is a little involved to get too, but let's start on easier items first.

Let's get it shifting 1-3 first, then worry about OD.
Thanks for the input. I believe the solenoid is under valve body, sooooo off comes the pan. Other than filter, anything else I should do while I'm in there?

ford4wd08

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the input. I believe the solenoid is under valve body, sooooo off comes the pan. Other than filter, anything else I should do while I'm in there?
Yes solenoids are installed in valve body. You have to drop valve body to replace.

Before you drop it, test and make sure the 3 wire plug is getting voltage. It is on drivers side front lip of trans pan.

The solenoids share a common hot wire and ECM grounds other wires to activate solenoid.

You should be able to here them click if you apply voltage to them, but that isn't a fail safe way to test. I had one that was clicking but was bad mechanically and allowing leak by. If you need a new one look on ebay for NOS. There are good deals out there.

I would have a separator plate and valve body gasket and reverse servo gasket handy if you drop the valve body.

I just bought this kit (except mine was 4wd) and seemed of decent quality.

Last edited: