• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 ford ranger 5 speed swap ecm

Tomsmiling

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I have a 1990 Ford ranger 4.0 5 speed 4x4. I bought the truck for $200 and I drove it for a day and found out the transmission had a whole in the side of it. Long story short I did a manual swap with a fm146 out of a 89 ranger 2.9. It was a pretty straightforward swap, direct bolt in. And for a transmission that cant hold up to a 4.0 it lasted about a year and a half, I wasn't very easy on it lol. I was lucky enough to find a M5od-r1hd in a junk yard out of a 01 ranger fx4(with the boss for a manual shift tcase). I got it rebuilt and swapped it into my truck it was also pretty straightforward too. Bolted right in.
20210320_153807.jpg
20200410_162341.jpg
20200227_161617.jpg
20200514_203441.jpg

Anyways.... ever since I 5 speed swapped the truck it has idled at 1,500rpms and I cant figure out why. I couldn't find any vaccum leaks anywhere and also cleaned the throttle body. But haven't changed the ecm. Is there a difference between the auto and manual ECM's on the older rangers? And if I got a manual ecm would I have to get it programmed for my truck?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I am sure there is a difference. All you have to do right now is pull the codes. The computer will tell you what it's not happy with. That should point you in the right direction for some solutions to the problem.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am sure there is a difference. All you have to do right now is pull the codes. The computer will tell you what it's not happy with. That should point you in the right direction for some solutions to the problem.
You need a manual ECM. 89-92 2.9 uses the same ECM. It will idle high with the auto ECM in it. I have converted 2 over to 5 speeds. As for codes it will be concerning the auto trans. I can research the Cardone part number if you are unable to get numbers from another factory manual ECM. Did you get the back-up lights and clutch switch hooked up?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You need a manual ECM. 89-92 2.9 uses the same ECM. It will idle high with the auto ECM in it. I have converted 2 over to 5 speeds. As for codes it will be concerning the auto trans. I can research the Cardone part number if you are unable to get numbers from another factory manual ECM. Did you get the back-up lights and clutch switch hooked up?
Did you ever figure out where the high idle came from? Is it something to do with the idle strategy of the computer and if it's in drive or park? I am assuming the automatic computer might monitor what gear the auto trans selector is in.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The high idle should go away with the manual computer. If memory serves me right , one wire on the ECM for an auto goes one place and a manual to another , or it is not used on one of them. Cant remember which way it was on the Fords. I think the codes you will get is 3/4 upshift and overdrive maybe. But the 88 Bronco 11 and 90 Ranger are ok after I changed ECM's. They are both 2.9's.

Tomsmiling

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yea I got the reverse lights working just a little splicing, but I never hooked up the clutch switch.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do you have the switch on the pedal ? The connector is there for it. The plug off the auto neutral safety switch needs 2 wires hooked together. You need a helper. The push on wire on the starter solenoid needs to be hooked to the wire going to the clutch switch. Have someone hold the clutch in and try to start it. Just touch the wire to a wire off the plug till it starts cranking. Or using a test light while someone is still trying to start it one of the wires will become hot , release the key and it should go dead. Per Cardone the 90 4.0 Ranger has a ECM of its own. One for auto and 1 for manual. Get the one that also is for Federal emissions.

Tomsmiling

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yea I figured the neutral safety switch, I just used a test light and found the wires in the auto trans harness and spliced them together. Probably not the best way but it works great. But ok I'll try using a manual ECM. Hopefully that brings the idle down. I really appreciate it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals