• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SOLVED: 1990 Bronco II rear passenger parking brake stuck on.

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
So I've had an abs light and parking brake light on my dash since I got the old gal but she braked fine with fronts until now and ran unimpeded. Well I decided before taking her in for a smog since I just replaced the cat after a fail that I was going to safen her up and try to get at least one of those lights off.

Well I reinstalled the driver side(full spring kit, tension kit, shoes and cylinder) with absolute ease and threw a new drum rotor right on. However the passenger side while I finished, I could not get the drum rotor on this side.

After disassembly I noticed the parking brake lever that attaches to the secondary shoe is seemingly fully engaged which is pushing the parking brake bar to tension and not allowing for me to put the drum rotor on. Also I assume this is what was causing the parking brake light to be constantly engaged without any braking power and why the rear passenger shoes were badly worn.

I can see actuation on the driver side messing with the parking pedal and zero on passenger side because it's parking parts are already actuated and locked open or on.

I need to reinstate the parking brake as well as the pedal does not click at all or lock into place but does actuate the cable and driver side mechanics. but first is having rear brakes work but the passenger p brake being locked on is part of the problem for sure.

Does anyone know how I can get this P-Brake disengaged on the passenger side so I can finish up here and move on to the parking brake which is for sure causing this issue even. Also, so I can get to smog in one piece hahaha.

Photos include one of me pointing at passenger issue and two of fully rebuilt and covered(with drum) driver side

Attachments

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would replace the passenger side e-brake cable now while its apart. Kill two birds with one stone. Probably the drivers side isnt far from seizing too...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Agreed with just replacing the cable(s).

Sometimes you can put a screw driver/pry bar on the end of the park brake lever and with a hammer get the cable to extend enough the get the drum on. If you do... beware that if you apply yge park brake... that drum will lock up and you will play hell getting it back off.

I have in the past for an emergency... just removed the park brake strut to get it back together. Then order the cable and repair it the right way when parts arrive.

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know if this 1990 Bii Parking brake setup looks correct? I can't find a diagram anywhere of one like this. Any photos of 90 Bii or ranger Parking brakes out there to confirm this is setup right or wrong? This is how I got it.

Thank you for any info!

And I have my two rear cables on order!

Attachments

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
This is how it looks on my '90 B2, and the parking brake works fine.

Park brake adjuster 1b.jpg

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Alright well I cut the e brake cable on the passenger side cause it was so siezed up just to get it off the lever arm and out of the dust plate. New cable is arriving tomorrow.

Anybody have any idea why my parking brake control assembly/module doesn't lock in place? It actuates and pulls tension on the cable and works therear drum(driver side only for now till new passenger cable install) but it WILL NOT LOCK.

Any ideas? I was thinking of heading to a pick n pull to grab a new assembly but wanted to check here first cause the part e3tz2780a is discontinued

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Well I replaced the parking brake cable and was able to successfully finish rebuilding the passenger drum and placed the rotor on. I am still having brake issues as i cant bleed my driver side wheel cylinder but that's for another thread. This one is solved!!!

Thank You!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals