• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 bronco II acceleration problem.

mandrake001x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1990 bronco II, that is mis-behaving.... the problem is that... it seemed to be running fine til I put a can of 'sea-foam' into the fuel tank to clean things out (fuel line and injectors). Now it will run fine for awhile, but then it starts sputtering, bucking and dogging when you try to accelerate in any gear, however the engine revs fine when in neutral or if the clutch is depressed and seems to idle fine... sometimes if you turn the key off and let it sit for a few it will run fine for a few mins but starts doing it again shortly.... I have replaced the fuel filter, and double checked that the new one is clear. I'm wondering if the fuel tank or fuel pump may be sucking up sludge that was loosened by the sea-foam ???... As I said, it runs fine when 'cold'... any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Its a 'work in progress' and not my primary transport. I have a 2001 gmc savanna van as primary, but enjoy using the bronco around town and 4 wheeling.

Jecsd1

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Give us more info. When it starts to bog check the fuel pressure and spark. Is the pressure in spec? Is the spark a strong one?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
have you gone through a tank of gas yet. check you spark plugs, all that sea foam isnt good all at once. if i were you i would put 91 in it and run out. also when you fill up with fresh gas no sea foam replace you plugs. im betting you fowled them.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My experience with the cleaners like this is while it is in the tank the engine runs rougher. If you haven't gotten thru the tank yet, I wouldn't necessarily worry unless is shows problems with the next tank of fuel

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals