• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 Bronco 2 weak voltage to fuel pump relay, wont start

Disney.J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3inch body
I have a 1990 bronco 2 I have been working on restoring for the last year, it was running fine and sat for about 3 months over the winter, while parked someone broke into it now I can not get the fuel pump relay to function correctly, I believe the relay to be good but I'm not getting proper voltage from the switch to make it click, I have spark and it will fire up with starting fluid so I don't believe there to be any other electrical issues, I've tried everything at this point to resolve this issue if anybody out there has any pointers on what to check next it would be awesome, I'm completely stumped at this point and the worst part is I have a fresh 2.9 rebuilt and ready to go I just cant drive it to where I need to put the motor in...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Iirc the computer relay (brown) is used to turn on the fuel relay (green). Check the wiring.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
do a search on this site. Here is one that sounds similar to your issue. Low voltage at fuel relay caused by ecu relay.

Disney.J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3inch body
wiring is good, changed all relays and changed the ignition switch, checked all grounds, just not getting proper voltage to the relays, also tried different ecm same issue.

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Check to see if your pump is priming at all and if it's not. Check under the passenger side of the dash under the glove box where your feet would go and pull back the carpet to reveal the cutoff switch. There is a unit with a red switch on top, this is the fuel pump shut off switch/inertia switch. Make sure it isn't triggered(in the up position) by pressing the button down if it is triggered.

If it isn't triggered, check the wiring and connector connection.

Also. If your pump isn't priming and relays, inertia switch and all else is fine, then make sure the fuel pump wiring connector is connected entirely. Mine came undone once after a huge bump right after it was replaced. It wasn't clipped in all the way. Just had to reconnect it and I was back on the road.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals