• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SOLVED: 1990 Bii 2.9 FAILED CA SMOG!

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Well it's been 11 days and I need to update this thread to keep everyone that may be interested informed with what little info I have to offer at this exact time.

I replaced my catalytic converter with the Walker 80690 Calfit CARB Cat. It DID NOT bolt right up(as advertised) as you are instructed to cut a half inch off the Y-pipe. The part you cut is obviously the 2 in or so extension that protrudes into the cat from the pipe post-flange.

I premeasured the new cats mating internal surface and ended up cutting 1 inch off the y pipe end for a snug fit that fully sealed.
After this, the cat mounted perfectly with brand new gaskets and bolts(reason I risked the 80690 in the first place was due to the gaskets being exactly the same).

The bolts I used were 10mm x 50mm coarse thread as this model converter does not have pre-welded/mounted carriage bolts. This was not an issue and is truly the only difference I notice between the CAT models and why this is only suggested for a 4.0L ranger and explorer when the Magnaflow CARB covers them ALL.

I also, replaced my vapor canister that was absolutely FULL of crap, dust, spider webs, and devils soot.

Now all I have to do is fix the rear brakes and go SMOG her which I am pretty certain she will sail through(otherwise my next post will be a sadface).

Further info:
The post 10/89 1990 Bronco II does not have a Vapor Purge Solenoid between the throttle body and vapor canister. It is not included physically nor in the vaccum diagram under the hood.

Last edited:

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Just wanted to update the thread since I haven't been able to work on the Bii until recently due to tree work and fires. BUT I installed the Walker Exhaust CalCat Carb 80690 Direct Fit and PASSED SMOG with flying colors! That Walker is a perfect fit even though it claims otherwise for compatibility. And it passed better than any newer vehicle I've ever slogged. Now to figure out these darn brakes and then she is fully functional mechanically speaking. Interior and exterior will have to wait

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Thank you for the update. Glad to hear its solved.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> BUT I installed the Walker Exhaust CalCat Carb 80690 Direct Fit and PASSED SMOG with flying colors!

That is great, it would be interesting to know what your MPG averages after two months. With the 2.9L I used to average 15 MPG up to 21 with my 5 speed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals