• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SOLVED: 1990 Bii 2.9 FAILED CA SMOG!

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Hey there all! I just got back from a failed smog test. As you can see I got a pass on everything except my HC ppm at 15 mph and my NO ppm at both 15 and 25 mph. It has a fresh new o2 sensor and last i checked i had no codes. And they passed me on the OBD system check. I have not replaced the purge solenoid, the vapor canister nor the catalytic converter. Could they still be bad? I really don't want to buy a cat but if it changes the results I am game.
Any help is much appreciated. Thank you for everything in the past. My Bii runs smooth and has some power for having a 2.9! I just couldn't pass smog sadly.

Attachments

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Move out of Commiefornia? Lol

seriously though, not really sure what to suggest. Around here they don’t worry much about anything they can’t hook an OBD 2 machine up to as long as it has the parts in the right places

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
There are others on here that have dealt with the same thing. Someone will chime in I am sure.

And yes...moving is an option lol.

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
There are others on here that have dealt with the same thing. Someone will chime in I am sure.

And yes...moving is an option lol.
From what I've seen on here I need a fresh cat. When I took her off last year I heard rattling in the center but upon visual inspection I saw full unclogged honeycomb on each end. But it is a factory dual cat so maybe there are two honeycomb in each individual cat and the internals are broken? Maybe it's just unburned stuff and I really gotta drive her but I drove 35 miles freeway speeds at an avg of 70mph hitting 75 easily and 80 many times with roof sounding like it was about to detatch hahaha all the way to the shop and about 15 miles before that on backroads at around 35-55 mph and she had cleaner in the tank and a fresh chevron fill.

I'm wondering mainly however if a 4.0l ranger catalytic converter will fit. I can't find the well priced Brexhaust CARB 0643095 anymore and the magnaflow is nearly a grand. But I found the Walker Calfit 80690 but it supposedly only fits to a 4.0l. Did the 2.9 and 4.0 ranger vary in this respect or can I grab the walker and get her fit? Summit claims it's universal lol

Also, if you check my result on the emissions test which is the only place I failed, you'll see I'm actually not outrageously above the max. Which makes me wonder what needs to be done and what money needs to be spent. We've done 4x4, zero transmission engagement, driveshaft shutter, and full power restore through here, I think with yall I can get this figured out. I mean jeez, WE MADE A 32 YEAR OLD CAR RUN FROM NOTHING!!! I hope others chime in!!

Last edited:

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have used and have used in other people's vehicles "Guaranteed To Pass" additive along with dry gas to pass emissions.

That being said, do you still have stock sized tires? It is so close, I am wondering if a tire size change would have made a difference where the vehicle thinks it is driving slower than it really is. Autozone shows the 1990 has a VSS. It has been 12+ years since I owned a 1990 B2, so, I can not confirm it actually does.

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
I have used and have used in other people's vehicles "Guaranteed To Pass" additive along with dry gas to pass emissions.

That being said, do you still have stock sized tires? It is so close, I am wondering if a tire size change would have made a difference where the vehicle thinks it is driving slower than it really is. Autozone shows the 1990 has a VSS. It has been 12+ years since I owned a 1990 B2, so, I can not confirm it actually does.
Yeah it has a vss and i put a fresh sc46 in with the same gear. I'm gonna try the cleaner but I think I need a fresh cat honestly and possibly a vapor canister. My tires are stock size. My speedo is quite accurate when I've tested it. I wonder if there was too much load in the truck when I took her in causing her to work harder during the test since I have a jack, stands, multiple auto test equipment, full set of auto tools, and a bunch of extra fluids in the back just in case.
I wonder if I did the cleaner and unloaded her if I would pass and be able to try for a cat later on since my tests were just above the max. May be worth the $60 retest. Beats $1k for magnaflow or $600 someodd for a 4.0l Walker that I don't know for sure will fit.

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah it has a vss and i put a fresh sc46 in with the same gear. I'm gonna try the cleaner but I think I need a fresh cat honestly and possibly a vapor canister. My tires are stock size. My speedo is quite accurate when I've tested it. I wonder if there was too much load in the truck when I took her in causing her to work harder during the test since I have a jack, stands, multiple auto test equipment, full set of auto tools, and a bunch of extra fluids in the back just in case.
I wonder if I did the cleaner and unloaded her if I would pass and be able to try for a cat later on since my tests were just above the max. May be worth the $60 retest. Beats $1k for magnaflow or $600 someodd for a 4.0l Walker that I don't know for sure will fit.
I Ordered the walker since that seems to be my only option. I'll report back if it works out fit-wise. Otherwise I'll order the magnaflow after I return it

AvlAndrew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
good luck, here in NC I’m running mine with a gutted cat :)) at least for now, as a bad set of fuel injectors clogged it up.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Hey there all! I just got back from a failed smog test. As you can see I got a pass on everything except my HC ppm at 15 mph and my NO ppm at both 15 and 25 mph. It has a fresh new o2 sensor and last i checked i had no codes. And they passed me on the OBD system check. I have not replaced the purge solenoid, the vapor canister nor the catalytic converter. Could they still be bad? I really don't want to buy a cat but if it changes the results I am game.
Any help is much appreciated. Thank you for everything in the past. My Bii runs smooth and has some power for having a 2.9! I just couldn't pass smog sadly.
How far off were the numbers? You might be able to pass it....I got a good smog guy, he lets it idle for a bit so they cats get nice and hot, they work better hotter. Also he will low key place that giant fan a little further away to let everything stay nice and toasty for maximum efficiency burn. Also a fresh oil change and spark plugs helps.

I wouldn't throw parts at it yet, the guy should at least be able to tell you what it might be. Mine was the dpfe sensor last time. Most common fail is either check engine light (gas cap) or bad cats.

let it idle while you check in, so its nice and hot as they roll in on the dyno.

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
How far off were the numbers? You might be able to pass it....I got a good smog guy, he lets it idle for a bit so they cats get nice and hot, they work better hotter. Also he will low key place that giant fan a little further away to let everything stay nice and toasty for maximum efficiency burn. Also a fresh oil change and spark plugs helps.

I wouldn't throw parts at it yet, the guy should at least be able to tell you what it might be. Mine was the dpfe sensor last time. Most common fail is either check engine light (gas cap) or bad cats.

let it idle while you check in, so its nice and hot as they roll in on the dyno.
I posted the numbers in the initial post but ill post here too. Less than 100 ppm over max at each fail. I'm honestly not worried about replacing a 32 year old cat because it is going to fail 100% at some point and waiting till it does is not worth what a cat may be worth down the road. I don't see it as throwing money at something that may be good, I see it as throwing money at something that will fail with little to no time at this point in the broncos life.
The magnaflows have gone up $100 since last year and finding carb rated cats is not easy for this vehicle(brexhaust made one for a great price and it's gone which is why im risking it on the walker) unless you like fabrication and even then im not reusing rusty cat flanges and cant weld(havent tried nor have equip). I'll get my monies worth at the wrecking yard for the old cat tbh and not feel so out of pocket on the cost. At this point I'm replacing the vapor canister and solenoid too because honestly this whole fix is running me just under $700 including tax and shipping. That's a little more than how much I spent to replace the tank, pump and injectors. Seems like a good deal honestly for a fresher car that would undoubtedly perform better with a fully functioning cat and evap can. Could be wrong but so far I've been striking gold with this old $400 gal. She's gone from zero to hero real quick and I'm just trying to make her a SUPERHERO. This will become a rancher before it leaves my family due to smog issues haha. Never knew I'd fall for an older car but I did and I have zero regrets regarding time or money invested. A lot of time, decent amount of money but not even close to having spent the value of a fully functional and clean Bii. Not yet hahaha

Attachments

Last edited:

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic

Also, the guy said "she needs a lot of work", I proceeded to ask what may be causing the issue and he stated "I'm not too sure because we just test here, You'll need to go to a smog and repair to figure it out". A definitely bold initial claim for somebody who had no idea what's wrong.

And by "lots of work" I assume he meant, rear drum brakes(should also reinstate the parking brake/turn off abs and park brake light in dash), power windows, power Locks, and the stereo because other than that, the suspension needing new shock, coil and maybe leaf springs, and the body work required to make it look completely fresh is all she has wrong with her. The guy was an idiot for certain. I hate to say that but how can a person say "theres a lot that needs to be fixed" then after questioning says he "has no idea what could be wrong". Quite a bold statement from that idiot smogger who probably hasn't rebuilt a car in his life. Offensive but I know it's worth. It means the world to me. I love my 1990 Bronco II.

Last edited:

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I posted the numbers in the initial post but ill post here too. Less than 100 ppm over max at each fail. I'm honestly not worried about replacing a 32 year old cat because it is going to fail 100% at some point and waiting till it does is not worth what a cat may be worth down the road. I don't see it as throwing money at something that may be good, I see it as throwing money at something that will fail with little to no time at this point in the broncos life.
The magnaflows have gone up $100 since last year and finding carb rated cats is not easy for this vehicle(brexhaust made one for a great price and it's gone which is why im risking it on the walker) unless you like fabrication and even then im not reusing rusty cat flanges and cant weld(havent tried nor have equip). I'll get my monies worth at the wrecking yard for the old cat tbh and not feel so out of pocket on the cost. At this point I'm replacing the vapor canister and solenoid too because honestly this whole fix is running me just under $700 including tax and shipping. That's a little more than how much I spent to replace the tank, pump and injectors. Seems like a good deal honestly for a fresher car that would undoubtedly perform better with a fully functioning cat and evap can. Could be wrong but so far I've been striking gold with this old $400 gal. She's gone from zero to hero real quick and I'm just trying to make her a SUPERHERO. This will become a rancher before it leaves my family due to smog issues haha. Never knew I'd fall for an older car but I did and I have zero regrets regarding time or money invested. A lot of time, decent amount of money but not even close to having spent the value of a fully functional and clean Bii. Not yet hahaha
Be careful to read the fine print. I may be wrong, but dont think the magnaflows are CARB legal. Cat replacement is sketchy legalities wise, one of the few things I just have a reputable muffler shop do, that way its on them if I dont pass inspection.

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Be careful to read the fine print. I may be wrong, but dont think the magnaflows are CARB legal. Cat replacement is sketchy legalities wise, one of the few things I just have a reputable muffler shop do, that way its on them if I dont pass inspection.
Magnaflow makes the MagnaFlow Direct-Fit Catalytic Converter California Grade CARB Compliant 333388 for the Bronco II. I'm super careful not to grab EPA even through they are so much cheaper than a CARB. I ordered a Walker Exhaust CalCat Carb 80690 Direct Fit Catalytic Converter. Best price I could find CARB wise.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I do not know if unloading the vehicle would make any difference because I am not sure how the treadmill works and if it provides any resistance.

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I bought at Autozone a Magnaflow CA compliant CAT after my old one blew a hole in it, about 14 months ago, I think I paid around $700 at the time. Passed smog here in Long Beach with flying colors. Make sure your vacuum lines are hooked up properly (some need to go to vacuum port before, and some to vacuum port after throttle body, it makes a difference). I guess also important that the truck has a CA specific ECU. Good luck, sounds like you have a nice BII.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals