• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 4 Piston Wilwood Caliper Upgrade

CYBERFUKD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I picked up new wheels yesterday. I was able to score 4 of these for $300, new. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-vna695865

I've started doing some test fits. I may have to run spacers. What I'm more concerned about right now is fitting the hub inside the rotor.

Does anyone know if Early F150(up to early 90s) and Rangers run compatable spindles(RWD)? I can't locate any measurements. Thank you

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
nice rims, one of my personal favorites.

CYBERFUKD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Going through reaybesto's catelog I've looked for rotors that may work in the application.

What I know nothing about is how the bolt hole diameter. The current specs are in purple. The studs are 1/2-20. When researching this I found the sport trac runs has a .636 bore on a 1/2-20. Does that mean matching the bolt hole to the stud size isn't critical?

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
it is not critical. my 2000 has about 5/8 rotor holes for the 1/2 studs.
one thing to watch out for in rotor selection is the inner bevel cut of the main hole.
it has to fit over the "brake register" on a removeable disk type hub, or the curved transition area of cut down hubs.
since your cut down 2wd hubs don't have a brake register lip you need the rotor to fit snug on the hub to center it.

Last edited:

CYBERFUKD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.9
Transmission
Manual
it is not critical. my 2000 has about 5/8 rotor holes for the 1/2 studs.
one thing to watch out for in rotor selection is the inner bevel cut of the main hole.
it has to fit over the "brake register" on a removeable type hub, or the curved transition area of cut down hubs.
since your cut down 2wd hubs don't have a brake register lip you need the rotor to fit snug on the hub to center it.
Thank you, The more I think I know the more I realize what I don’t know. I’ve got some reading to do. I will work with the machinist on that.
Do you recommend hub centric rings?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
haven't needed any yet but if I selected a loose fitting rotor I'd get 'em.

I'm in the rust belt. after rust falls off the rotors for a couple years we stop worrying about them being balanced, or round. :icon_rofl:

CYBERFUKD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.9
Transmission
Manual
haven't needed any yet but if I selected a loose fitting rotor I'd get 'em.

I'm in the rust belt. after rust falls off the rotors for a couple years we stop worrying about them being balanced, or round. :icon_rofl:
I would think the machinist can create the correct bevel with his lathe. TBD

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I picked up new wheels yesterday. I was able to score 4 of these for $300, new. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-vna695865

I've started doing some test fits. I may have to run spacers. What I'm more concerned about right now is fitting the hub inside the rotor.

Does anyone know if Early F150(up to early 90s) and Rangers run compatable spindles(RWD)? I can't locate any measurements. Thank you
look up the bearings, if they match then proceed. I seem to recall some Mustangs had the same bearings. possibly mid 90s Crown Vics??
for a few years around 82 ??? thru 84??? F100s had the same 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.
those front rotors also had the hub and disk as one casting, so probably won't help much.

post #13 shows the brake register on the new Mustang hub, small increase in diameter next to the hub surface.
that Ranger hub doesn't have a brake register (duh! integral rotor) :icon_thumby:

CYBERFUKD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.9
Transmission
Manual
look up the bearings, if they match then proceed. I seem to recall some Mustangs had the same bearings. possibly mid 90s Crown Vics??
for a few years around 82 ??? thru 84??? F100s had the same 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.
those front rotors also had the hub and disk as one casting, so probably won't help much.

post #13 shows the brake register on the new Mustang hub, small increase in diameter next to the hub surface.
that Ranger hub doesn't have a brake register (duh! integral rotor) :icon_thumby:
whatever rotor platform I end up with I will buy a hub for the machinist to blueprint and copy. I started looking through bearings, but rock auto doesn't get specific enough on the bearings. I will look up the bearings for those models and see if I can save some machining time. I kinda backed myself into a corner with the calipers. Most <12.2" rotors are thinner than the minimum specs of the caliper (1.15"-1.35"). Porsche rotors spec really nicely to the caliper, but then I have to run an adaptor

CYBERFUKD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.9
Transmission
Manual
The 1990 F150 shares one of the same bearings as the 1990 ranger. The question is, is the other bearing different because of the rotor or spindle, or both? If it's due to the rotor, I may be very lucky. if it's due to the spindle, this option won't work. I need to research those other bearings still. I really wish I could find some drawings with spindle specs.

CYBERFUKD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.9
Transmission
Manual
The 1990 F150 shares one of the same bearings as the 1990 ranger. The question is, is the other bearing different because of the rotor or spindle, or both? If it's due to the rotor, I may be very lucky. if it's due to the spindle, this option won't work. I need to research those other bearings still. I really wish I could find some drawings with spindle specs.
I should say rotor/hub.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals