• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 2.3l 5 speed 4x4 trans swap to M50d-r1 hd

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
Is it possible to swap the m50d-r1 hd to a 1990 2.3L 4x4 5 speed? Do I just do the follow the tech library for the swap? I bought the truck online and havent picked it up yet and im kinda confused on what trans it has in it but was told the 5 speed in it has shit the bed so to speak (no oil in it destroyed everything internal). but since I have to replace it anyways figured do some research but these trucks are far and few between and can find to much info on it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Problem will be finding one, 2.3l with 4WD was not common, but yes you can swap it

M5OD-R1(M5R1) doesn't have a removable bell housing, main case and bell housing are one piece, so each one is engine specific
Earlier manuals had detachable bell housings so it was easier to just swap transmissions

When you get the Ranger look under it at the bottom of transmission, if you see a bolt on pan its NOT an M5R1, no pan then it is

But................you could use a 2WD M5R1 from a 2.3l, 1988-1997, and swap the tail shaft and tail shaft housing from ANY 4x4 M5R1, they were the same regardless of engine size

M5R1 uses ATF, not gear oil

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
Awesome so if my tail shaft and housing are ok then i can find a 2wd m5r1 and just swap them and bolt the transfer case up. Now lets say its not a m5r1 in the truck, will the drive shafts be the same for the 2.3l to the new m5r1 same u joints, lengths? also will I need to swap transfer cases or will the old transfer case bolt up to the new m5r1?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Sounds like you already have a M5R1, that would have been the only manual trans available for your truck. The HD version is not really an upgrade. I would have yours rebuilt or find a good used one.

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
Sweet thanks! I should be picking up the truck tmw. Im excited get it and get the truck up to par!

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I think the HD version was intended for the 4.0 SOHC engine and has slightly different gear ratios (taller low gears). It is also my understanding that the HD version has an upgrade to the 5th gear oiling mechanism to improve lubrication to 5th gear.

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
Well unfortunately the truck was a complete bust! I got there and it was not a 2.3L it was 4.0 and thats not what ive been on the hunt for, He even tried to argue with me that it was a 4 cylinder . On top of it all I was like ok I can deal with a 4.0l but after a few mins off looking at it I found the shifter was installed wrong. easy fix right! put a new battery in and just clicked. rolled the truck to make sure it was in neutral and nope just a click from the starter. Put a socket on the crank and it was locked up tight! Seller was a complete idiot. pink slip was for another ranger, learned my lesson I guess next time im gunna ask for more pictures. At least I got my money back after having to threaten to call the cops.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals