• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 RANGER XLT 4WD 5SP REAR END HAMMERING

BUXTER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER XLT 4WD
Transmission
Manual
Just bought this last week - "Clanked" so badly I just had it towed straight to shop after 100 yard test drive - I had shop gut the Front Auto Locks for future upgrade & help diagnosing the Hammering - Its definitely Rear End SLAMMING so hard WE THOUGHT it was Front End as the whole Truck hammers - What is hot setup for 'new" Rear End ____? - Again someone has been in Rear End previous & obviously failed miserably - I'll report on Diff Code fm Sticker.

Attachments

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Depends on how you're going to use the truck. What are your goals? Would help to know what you have now - engine, transmission, differential gear ratio, tire size.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
My advice is the same for anyone with a decent 2nd gen supercab... sign the title over to me and drop it off at my house.

BUXTER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER XLT 4WD
Transmission
Manual
AXLE CODE 86 from Door Sticker - SPRING CODE E F - 15 inch wheels - I'm sure there's a Code breakdown somewhere here on this GREAT Board - 2.9 Cologne V6 - 5 Speed - I'm a LONGtime Ford & Lincoln guy, have 5 on the road & a couple "projects" - Body was straight & a relatively rust free NC Truck, recent Clutch & full Brake system - 95K miles but surely rolled over - Price was right & it looked so sad I just could'nt just leave it sitting there...

Attachments

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Good page to Bookmark here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

In axle section are the codes, seen here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

86 is a 7.5" OPEN, with 3.73 ratio

You have to match ratio to front axle, on 4x4s

7.5" and 8.8" Ranger axles are interchangeable so you can use either, same drive shaft flange

Also the frames and mounting are the same from 1983 to 2011, but...........

In 1993 and up Rangers were 2" wider, so axles were 2" wider, same frame and mounts just wider body
So on your 1989, a 1993 and up rear axle would have the rear tires 1" farther out on each side

A limited slip(L/S) rear axle would a nice upgrade, 3.73 ratio of course, and it was the most common ratio on Rangers
7.5" or 8.8" doesn't matter

Rangers came with either 9" rear brakes or 10" same hoses and connections, try to get "new" axle with drums included

2010/11 Ranger had rear disc brakes, and can be used but some extra work is required with E-brake and hoses

Last edited:

BUXTER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER XLT 4WD
Transmission
Manual
Got the new wider 8 inch rear end with Drums installed thanx to the awesome info above - New Rear end just has flange... what where is correct U Joint seat for existing driveshaft ?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Old one should just have had a flange as well???

Rangers used 7.5" or 8.8" rear axle and both used 2.5" spaced flat flange hookup

"1310 Series Ford Flange Yoke to fit Ford 7.5 inch and 8.8 inch rear ends.
Designed for the SMALL Ford bolt pattern typically found on most Ford and Mustang 7.5 and 8.8 rear ends"

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
There's a cutoff for the small pinion flange vs the larger flange (I think 1990, after which will be the larger flange). If you have 1310 u-joints, you should only need to swap the u-joint flange on the end of your driveshaft for the larger one to have it fit.

That said, this might be a good time for the '98+ one-piece driveshaft swap. If you can find a steel shaft from a '98-'00 truck, will have the correct ends on it to fit yours (assuming the rear axle you used is from a 1991 or later truck). Later aluminum one-piece shafts can be used too, but you will need to swap your t-case output flange for it to fit (get the one from the donor).

Lots of good info here:

BUXTER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER XLT 4WD
Transmission
Manual
New 8.8 Rear Diff came with Pinion Flange for large U Joints - I bought what was supposed to be a "1986-2004 Mustang Ford Performance M-4851-C Pinion Flange for 8.8" Axle" BUT it has the same small spline as my old 7.5 Pinion Flange so it will not slide on the 8.8 Diff - It MAY be labeled wrong on Ebay OR did I buy wrong part to begin with____?? - Pic attached - What Pinion Flange PN do I need to be buying to mate 8.8 Diff Spline to SMALL U Joints___? - TIA

Attachments

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
AFAIK all 8.8" pinion splines are the same, so I'm thinking it was listed wrong.

What U-joints do you have? (1210 or 1310-series)? If 1310, you don't need to change the pinion flange, you just need to swap the driveshaft flange (unfortunately I don't have a PN# handy... anyone else?). Any 1991-1997 Ranger should have the part you need on the rear driveshaft.

If you have 1210 joints though, you'll likely have to drill & tap the pinion flange since no conversion parts are available that I know of to mate a 1210 to a 8.8".

See here:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals