• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 ranger no power to fuel pump

Dominicwp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1989 ford ranger XLT 2.9L and the battery had been hooked up backwards. I have gotten it to the point where it will turn over but am getting no power to the fuel pump. My grandfather had mentioned something about an in line fuse that may be the issue. Does anyone know about an inline fuse that might cause the fuel pump not to receive power or of any other possibilites that I might try. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Fuel pump only gets 2 seconds of power when key is turned to ON, then no more power until engine starts, OR, you turn key OFF and then ON again, then 2 second of power again.
So you can only "test for power" for those 2 seconds.

Fuel pump power comes from a 30 amp fuse in the engine fuse box and it travels like this:

Battery--------30 amp fuse---------fuel pump relay-------inertia switch----------fuel pump---Ground

Fuel pump relay will be on inner fender and will have a Green Base/Plugin, in '89 it could be under the engine fuse box with 2 other relays

inertia switch will be in the cab, passenger side just below glove box or in the kick panel, is it a small black plastic square with a button on the top.
If truck stops suddenly or rolls over inertia switch will OPEN and cut power to fuel pump.
Button the the top resets it.

If you have a volt meter then find the fuel pump relay, unplug the relay from its base.
Key off
Test each hole in the base for 12volts, that 12volts is from the 30 amp fuse, has power 24/7, no 12v then blown fuse.

Now turn key ON
test each hole, should now be a second one with 12volts.

Last edited:

Dominicwp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you

I'll check that out when I get home. Thank you for your help and advice

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals