• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 ranger 2.9l ford air intake installation issues

dungle262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
recently replaced Injector not realizing they're bigger then the stock ones. running very rich now and need more air so this is the route I'm taking. when I went to remove the airbox I noticed a hose underneath it that leads into the exhaust. what do I do about this hose in order to install the cold air intake. is it a possibility? I think it's part of my egr system. the tube travels underneath the alternator

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Not sure what the hose is, but a cold air intake is not going fix the bigger injector problem. These engines are speed density programmed, and if the parameters get too far out it can't compensate. It's difficult to turn the larger injector on and off fast enough to limit the amount of fuel at idle. It runs fine above idle correct?

dungle262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure what the hose is, but a cold air intake is not going fix the bigger injector problem. These engines are speed density programmed, and if the parameters get too far out it can't compensate. It's difficult to turn the larger injector on and off fast enough to limit the amount of fuel at idle. It runs fine above idle correct?
yes but I am also having problems with my cat being clogged. we actually figured it out and completed the installation just 30 minutes ago. put just the valve section back on and now I'm not smelling gas from my exhaust. it fixed the running rich for the most part but I'm still rough idling bc my truck can't exhale due to the cat being clogged. after the intake we revved it and blew black smoke like a diesel. at idle the smoke was not black just after 2500rpms it turned black. after the test drive it stopped smoking

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
yes but I am also having problems with my cat being clogged. we actually figured it out and completed the installation just 30 minutes ago. put just the valve section back on and now I'm not smelling gas from my exhaust. it fixed the running rich for the most part but I'm still rough idling bc my truck can't exhale due to the cat being clogged. after the intake we revved it and blew black smoke like a diesel. at idle the smoke was not black just after 2500rpms it turned black. after the test drive it stopped smoking
I hate to tell you this but the best thing you can do is put the right injectors in

Running rich is only going to keep screwing up the cat and eventually itll wash the rings out.

Thst hose is the least of your worrries. Trying to modify stock parts to work with wrong parts is only going to end in a mess.

Put the proper injectors in and see how it runs, then report back and we can help you diagnose from there if youre still having issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals