• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 instrument cluster compatibility

adamfertig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
hi all, new to the forum, really appreciate all the info here.

I'm hoping to swap the basic cluster on my Ranger (2.3L 5spd) for one with a tach--anything from 1989-1992 should have the same wiring and be basically plug+play, right?

I picked up a cluster a few days ago but didn't have any luck with it, none of the wiring lined up (it said 92 on it but I noticed afterwards that the back circuitry has a 93 part code so that might be the problem). I just wanted to confirm that there's compatibility across those model years before I try buying another cluster.

Sorry, I know this sort of question has been asked many, many times on here but I couldn't find anything about the '89 specifically.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You need one from a '89 to early '92, they switched mid model year for whatever reason... pay attention to the color of the circuit on the back, I don't remember what's the right color, but you know what the wrong color is... I switched mine out like 20 years ago so I don't remember everything anymore and it's been a while since I've had a 4.0L but if memory serves their tach's don't go up to 6k rpm, so watch out for that too.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yeah, there were changes in or after the 1992 model year. Be aware that your 4 cylinder tach reading may not be accurate with a V6 gauge cluster even if you do get one that fits.

I'm also not sure about 2nd gen trucks but 1st gen dash harnesses and clusters were wired differently if the truck came with a tach cluster or not. The wiring order on the plug is different and must be changed, and the plug itself has to be modified. I don't know if that holds true for 2nd gen or not - best to find some wiring diagrams, or better yet, compare the plugs and wire order with the donor vehicle you're obtaining a cluster from.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Wiring is the same, I think as long as you get one with a 6k rpm tach you are fine... I'm pretty sure the only option my '90 came with was a cargo light... it has steel headliner, don't think it came with a radio and doubt it came with a rear bumper... 4 cylinder manual trans with 3.08 gears, back in the fordranger.com days when I didn't know jack I was able to do it in the parking lot at college, I think that was the start of my mods :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals