• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 Fuel Gauge Question.

Pono

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello Forum,

My Ranger fuel gauge has never worked so I thought I would try and get it functioning. When I first turn the key on the gauge goes from empty to full and then slowly comes back to empty. I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit but did not make a difference. Before I remove the instrument cluster I thought I would get your feedback. I was looking on eBay for a used fuel gauge. There is a complete cluster available, I was looking at the back of the cluster from the pictures on eBay.

Does the circuit board remove very easily to replace the gauge?

There is a thread to test the the fuel gauge from the sending unit. I used a jumper wire from the positive of the harness to the sending unit. Apparently the fuel gauge should read full if the gauge is working correctly. Gauge did not respond.

Are there companies I can send the old unit in for repair?

Do you know of any other test I can do on the gauge itself?

Thank you,
John

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey Pono :)
Have you checked the gauge for leaks? :D
I hope you know that's just supposed to be a joke.

I was messing around at the pickers and found a gauge cluster there in a Mazda B4000 that perfectly matched mine in the 93 Ranger 4.0.

The individual gauges slip in and out as easy as plugging in an electric cord, with a LOT fewer sparks! :D

I doubt the pickers yard would sell just one gauge, and if that's all you took the price would still be the entire cluster. My pickers yard here guarantees it for a year also

If you a yard similar close to you there that's where I would suggest starting

Last edited:

Pono

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Josh,
Good advise.

Like your sense of humor.

Notice you are from Oklahoma. Just drove through the panhandle last month on a road trip. Found some great state parks.

Pono

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I did check the ohms coming from the tank. 115. Has about 3/4's tank. I guess 145 when full.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The Oklahoma panhandle is a cool place, especially this time of year.
I believe they filmed most of the Rawhide series there (where Clint Eastwood got his start), at least I think that was Clint.

There's a lot to see in most states really, I preferred the Southeast, South, West, and Northwest, the East and Northeast were too crowded to get my interest for very long. I've never been but the North East Canadian Provinces get high marks from knowledgable people I have known , places like Nova Scotia etc

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I guess I left you dry on the gauge, all I can suggest there is to replace it from a pickers unit.

I had actually hoped someone would chime in with a lot more than i have to offer :/
My apologies for that sir

Pono

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
In removing the instrument cluster does the steering column need to drop down slightly in the 89 ranger.

Pono

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
To complete the thread I was able to get my fuel gauge working again after 15 years of seeing empty all the time.
The issue as in many other posts was the anti slosh module. I should of addressed this first prior to replacing the fuel pump. It was the original pump so it probably wasn't a bad idea anyway. Plus there was some activity from the fuel gauge just not correct. It would go to full fuel when the key was turned on and then slowly went to empty.
On the 89 ranger the slosh circuit board is on the left side (drivers side) of the instrument cluster. You can remove it with out having to completely remove the instrument cluster or disconnecting the speedo.
Once I removed the circuit board I cleaned the contacts just in case but no luck. I posted a youtube video I found that shows how to bypass the board if anyone is interested.
-John

Attachments

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It isn't so bad taking it apart, this took me about 15 minutes which includes finding it, locating the right tools and pulling the 2 bezel layers and the gauges and taking these photos.
The worst part on mine is to disconnect that speedometer cable, I never did figure that out and always chose to let it alone.
Taking this spare out of the Mazda was no problem but yest that cable got broke, and I still haven't figured out how :)
If you tear yours down I'd get about 20 bulbs ready and just replace them

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am glad you got it fixed there Pono. I tried three times to post enough to get the gauges replaced but had a couple paragraphs and 8 photos and that was the 3rd attempt to do so, and as far as the uploads ever got. I retried 3 times and had to start all over each time and the last one was still hanging where I checked to see your latest post. Sorry I couldn't been any more help but looks like you did fine

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals