• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

For Sale 1989 Ford Ranger 2.9 XLT

visionarygvp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone, I’ve been thinking long and hard about keeping or selling my Ford Ranger and even made a post about my truck on a different forum: Reddit Posting
within the thread under that particular posting I came to learn that primarily on the west coast, people would be willing to pay between $8000 - $10,000 for my truck, which was surprising to me even.

I haven’t had any major issues with the truck, and even had a mechanic look at it back in early July when I had my oil change, and he told me that there’s really nothing wrong with the truck but could use a few upgrades.

I’m very open about the condition of the truck, and have decided I do want to sell it to someone who will want to put a little work into upgrades since I personally don’t have the time to. Not only that but this truck has been my primary source of transportation for the past 14 months, and since I’m family planning with my girlfriend I need something that will be more suitable for us.

Also I would like to add that though it’s been my primary source of transportation, I’m a truck driver and just recently went local about a month ago, before that the truck would sit between 2-3 weeks at a time, and I’d drive it around locally to run errands for the time I was home.

If anyone is seriously interested or can point me in the direction of serious buyers on the west coast market, I’d greatly appreciate if you could reach out to me. I live in Atlanta, GA and haven’t looked into shipping across to California, but if someone is even willing to pick it up and tow it back, I’m willing to take out the cost for you having to drive out here and back. I live in Atlanta, GA and haven’t looked into shipping across to California, but if someone is even willing to pick it up and tow it back, I’m willing to take out the cost for you having to drive out here and back.

It’s been a tough decision to part ways with my truck, because I really lucked up finding a 89’ Ranger in such great condition. Everything on it is original, from front to back, top to bottom. With the exception of the Brake Cylinder reservoir, that I had replaced some while back.
In my opinion a new paint job, some upgrades, and somehow getting the dings out the back side which I can show you as well, is all the truck really needs.

If you want videos, or more pictures of the truck components again I’m 100% open about everything and just want to sell it to someone who will appreciate it.

Specs:
• 2wd
• Long bed XLT
• 2.9 L Engine
• Unsure of rear axle type
• Automatic transmission

Visible blemishes:
• Dings near left rear truck bed
• Scratch behind left driver door
• Paint was chipping on roof, so I bought some sealant to protect the exposed metal and used car paint similar to the color of the truck to cover it.
• Dash plastic on passenger side cracked and faded from sun, but was told a new panel would cost between $200-$300 max.

Mechanical and other issues:
• The driver side interior door handle component needs to be replaced, it could be a spring that came undone because I have to roll the window down and open it from the outside.
• AC Compressor short cycles (comes on and cuts back out). The AC compressor never cycled on so I thought something was wrong with it, but once I got the conversion valve on, it started up but was only short cycling.
• Radio doesn’t work (never worked since I bought it)

I was not made aware of any other issues, however I know the truck doesn’t pull like how I believe it should, and that could be a spark plug that needs to be replaced but I’m not sure.

Work I have put into the truck:
• 4 new brake calipers 2/2021
• brake pads 2/2021
• brake shoes 2/2021
• New brake master cylinder replaced 2/2021
• replaced radiator hose 6/2020
• 4 New tires purchased 7/2020
• Radiator flush 6/2021
• Driver side headlight bulb replaced 6/2020
• Put a R-134 conversion valve on the low pressure side for the AC 8/2021
• Brand new battery 7/2021
• Positive battery connector replaced 7/2021

Attachments

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Looks awesome! So is $8,000 your asking price?

Is that a long bed?

visionarygvp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Looks awesome! So is $8,000 your asking price?

Is that a long bed?
Thank you. For that is my starting asking price, and yes it sure is a long bed.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I would put in the ad that its a long bed, and also other specs like engine size, 2wd or 4wd, transmission (a/t or 5 spd), and maybe rear axle type (7.5 or 8.8)....Also the last sentence in your first paragraph is repeated twice. Thats my edit suggestions lol

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
Did ford have a option for the 7 foot bed on the extended cab? Dirty

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
How many miles are on it?

I personally wouldn't bother trying to sell it on the west coast. Too much hassle, not enough reward. There's likely a bunch of nice 89s for sale out there, for round about the same price, that the buyer could probably go look at in person.. AND avoid having to pay the exorbitant shipping costs that go along with auto transport.

Old rangers are cool, and becoming increasingly desirable.. BUT.. they aren't 69 trans ams.. or hertz mustangs. I don't think they're desirable enough for someone to pay top dollar AND pay shipping for something they can't even look at in person.

Nice truck though, extremely clean looking interior. Glws!

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
That's an odd bed for sure, or the bug-eye lense is playing tricks on us. The front of the bed appears short with the fuel filler door very close to the front of the bed like a shortbed is, but the rear of the bed appears to be a longbed. Odd indeed..

Reminds me of the V8 Ranger I saw for sale the other day online. Longbed extended cab. All custom built, but I couldn't figure out how he did it, because it still had all of the factory rivets holding the front/rear frame sections together. Must have been cut and re-welded..

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
Your truck is really sharp, excellent clean up & wax job. You're being VERY optimistic about it bringing 8k.

And to dirtymike: no extended cabs with 7' beds.

shorangerbird

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rimjam is correct. you will find no supercabs with 7 ft beds......unless someone grafted one on. Rangers were made in three wheelbases: 108/114/125
shortbeds 108. longbeds 114. supercabs with a shortbed 125

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Rimjam is correct. you will find no supercabs with 7 ft beds......unless someone grafted one on. Rangers were made in three wheelbases: 108/114/125
No arguments here. But that first picture is very deceptive. It's almost a straight side shot and the back of the bed looks really long.

visionarygvp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Did ford have a option for the 7 foot bed on the extended cab? Dirty
I bought the truck from a young man last May, his neighbor a elderly lady was getting rid of it. It was her late husbands, he took really good care of it. Im basically the second owner of the truck. I’m not sure if he ordered it that way, but that’s how I bought it.

visionarygvp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
No arguments here. But that first picture is very deceptive. It's almost a straight side shot and the back of the bed looks really long.
I honestly don’t know the full details on the specs, but it’s 2wd, auto transmission and long bed XLT.

Last edited:

visionarygvp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Mine would be a 114 but I can find out for sure. It didn’t come with a manual or anything, so I’m not even sure where I can get more details on specs. I see that, that is important to know now.

visionarygvp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Yea that’s why I attached regular pictures lol I was trying out a few funky angles.

visionarygvp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Your truck is really sharp, excellent clean up & wax job. You're being VERY optimistic about it bringing 8k.

And to dirtymike: no extended cabs with 7' beds.
Well the only reason I’m this optimistic is because I posted in a different Ranger forum some while back, when selling it was just a thought and guys were telling me it would easily sell for between $8-$10k on the west coast.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals