• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 Ford Bronco II Fuel Problem?

mazdaford02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1989 Ford Bronco II 4X4 XLT it has the 2.9l EFI with the redesign heads. It has 150,000 miles 4-speed OD manual trans, manual hubs, manual transfer case. I have noticed that it is reluctant to start, but its more complex than that. I turn the key, wait for the fuel pump to stop humming, and it will fire, run for 3-5 seconds and then die out. I go back after a couple of seconds and it fires right up with no problems. There are no other issues and starts fine when warmed up. I haven't been able to isolate the problem.
Recently I have performed a complete tune-up: Spark plugs, wires , distributor, cap, rotor, oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, TPS, new valve cover gaskets.
I also put in a new fuel tank recently and new leaf springs as well as brakes.
I looked into it a little bit, the fuel sending unit is operating as it should but if ound that there is a secondary pump or pressure regulator? Agian it is EFI and has no other known problems.
Can anyone help?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, you only have the one fuel pump, but you do have a pressure regulator.

Try priming the pump more than once. If that helps the check valve in the pump is bad.

mazdaford02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have had some luck with that, priming it 2-3 times and it will fire okay, forgot to mention that. So it is most likely the pump or is this pressure regulator another possible issue.
I was going to change the pump when i did the gas tank but was in a hurry and thought I could get away on the old one if I held the tank above half.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The only thing the pressure regulator does is control how much pressure is built up in the rail when the engine is running.

I would do a fuel pressure bleed-off test. Hook a gauge to it, run it for a few minutes, and then let it sit overnight, see what is left first thing in the morning. If it is 0, get a new pump.

mazdaford02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright, thanks for the quick response. I will post update when problem is resolved.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals