• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 f250

ranger1999 Bob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i had one too and loved it it took one heck of a beating. the problems i had was the front tank rusted out so i had to buy a replacement from JC Whitney...and the fuel pump was bad and when it was bad i had to run off the front tank then go to the back this would refill the front tank as i drove as well as run the truck.. once i did the rail fuel pump that problem was alleviated.
i had a job and a half doing lower bushings on it and the other problem was when the clip on the rear slider went i couldnt find a new one
other thing that drove me nuts was there is a resistor on the left side of the truck near the back. well somehow it fell and made contact with the exhaust manifold. that would cause the fusable link to blow out and it drove me crazy until i found out what was up
other than that it was very reliable just drank gas like crazy

rangerwreck

Reaction score
In the early/mid 80s they dumped the Dana 60 for the Sterling 10.25. There are full and semi float versions of both the Sterling and Dana 60.

Up front, you'll have the HD 44 or 50. It's kinda a crapshoot figuring out which one it is, easiest way to tell is measure the hub lockout diameter. If it's 3", you have a 50, if it's smaller, it's a 44.

Reg cabs got the 44, but the 50 was available as an option. SuperCabs mostly got the 50. I have a heavy duty 8600lb GVW F-250 reg cab with a diesel, and I have a 44 front :pissedoff:

Wish I had better knowledge of when they switched trannies. When you look at the truck, take a look at the shifter. If the pattern is P R N (D) D 1 then you have an AOD, or an AOD-E if we're talking late 80s, early 90s. If there's an O/D cancel button on the shifter, it's an E40D. I think the E4ODs came out late 80s... like 89 or so.

One thing for sure though, the V8/auto combos were TERRIBLE on gas. The stick made 'em a bit better, and the 300s/manual were a little bit better than that.

Both the AOD and E4OD can be cranky sometimes. Thankfully they've been around long enough that their faults are known, and can be built to take great abuse.

AODs were modelled around the C4, and the E4ODs were modeled around the C6. They just got suckier some how...

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
thanks to everyone. it looks like he also has a 4.9 I6 f150 for me to look at on sunday. he says its 4x4 and 5 or 4 speed manual. i am hoping one of them will be reliable enough for me to make a good tow rig, work truck, or wheeler out of. depends what i will use it for but i am intrested in anymore input anyone has!
thanks for your time guys
chuck

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
well the friend of mine who was selling the truck decided to let his buddy barrow it yesterday. by 4 am it was totaled in a ditch with 4-5 inches of frame folded in on itself.... he also got a better look at the f150 and it has a frame that is nearly rotted all the way through.... i have had better days...
chuck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals