• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 Cracking fan blades

LilRed89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1989 XLT SC with the 2.9 V6. It still has the factory defective white fan blade. The arms are beginning to crack off.
I went to LMC and found a specific listing for a 1989 2.9, ordered it and received back a different looking one with a sticker showing 93-94 3.0.
When I called them they were a bit less than helpful and said it should work. Anyone run into this before? Will it fit?

Attachments

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
You can test fit it. It might.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I think I got the last or one of the last to fit an 85 2.3 about 3 years ago. The old one was losing bits of the blades, and had cracks near the hub for almost each and every blade. I feared it self-dissecting and eating the radiator.
You should be able to plug your VIN into one of the dealer sites, and then plug a search for the part number you received that fits the 3.0, and see if it is acceptable for your VIN. At least that's what I would do. They (one seller - white bear lake?) stopped me from ordering a fan blade for an 87 after putting my VIN into their decoder. I knew it at the time, and had klut-fingered the part number or something like that, but they contacted me via email within minutes of placing the order.
I know nothing beyond my own vehicle, and am disappointed at trying to figure out what would be usable and functional. No web site or auto parts store could come up with numbers for after market that would be sure to work. So, I finally found a NOS(I think) fan blade that matched, and a NOS thermal clutch for same. Happy with that. And done til it hits the boneyard or I do.
tom

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think I got the last or one of the last to fit an 85 2.3 about 3 years ago. The old one was losing bits of the blades, and had cracks near the hub for almost each and every blade. I feared it self-dissecting and eating the radiator.
You should be able to plug your VIN into one of the dealer sites, and then plug a search for the part number you received that fits the 3.0, and see if it is acceptable for your VIN. At least that's what I would do. They (one seller - white bear lake?) stopped me from ordering a fan blade for an 87 after putting my VIN into their decoder. I knew it at the time, and had klut-fingered the part number or something like that, but they contacted me via email within minutes of placing the order.
I know nothing beyond my own vehicle, and am disappointed at trying to figure out what would be usable and functional. No web site or auto parts store could come up with numbers for after market that would be sure to work. So, I finally found a NOS(I think) fan blade that matched, and a NOS thermal clutch for same. Happy with that. And done til it hits the boneyard or I do.
tom
A couple years ago a guy was working on a s10 and the fan came apart, he caught a blade in the neck... killed him.

Last edited:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i have had them separate on the highway and dent the hood but the neck one... man, that sucks

28HopUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I recently found several OEM-style fan blades for sale on ebay. I bought a Ford part number OEM fan for $104 with tax, which will be coming soon. Other fans were over $200!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals