• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 bronco wiring issue

87bronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I got a 89 bronco and I have no turn signals or brake lights I have parking lights and the fuses are good here’s the problem when I turn the key to signal the starter to start the front and rear turn signals come on and when the engine starts and I let off the key from the start position they go out and if I try to power the brake light switch the engine spins over and if I do the same with the turn signals it spins over and stops and goes again like you would have a turn signal on or the emergency flashers I was told it was the turn signal switch changed it with a used one same thing bought a new one same thing then was told it was the ignition switch changed it with a used one same thing got a new one same thing I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or should I just pull the dash and start chasing wires any help would be appreciated thank you

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
My first thought instinct is to tell you there is a bad ground connection somewhere. But it's going to take some study time with the electrical diagrams to come up with something more definitive. What do you know about the history of the truck? Has someone replaced the motor? Is there a lot of rust and corrosion that could be affecting electrical connections? Do you see evidence of a previous owner doing bad electrical work, especially under the hood?

87bronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My first thought instinct is to tell you there is a bad ground connection somewhere. But it's going to take some study time with the electrical diagrams to come up with something more definitive. What do you know about the history of the truck? Has someone replaced the motor? Is there a lot of rust and corrosion that could be affecting electrical connections? Do you see evidence of a previous owner doing bad electrical work, especially under the hood?
When I got it it was just a body and frame no running gear I put early bronco axles and the engine trans and transfer case came from a 87 that I bought before I left New York and I used it till the body wanted to fall off the frame so I bought this one out of a buddy’s yard been sitting up a bit but everything worked when it was park that I know for sure I will check grounds and see what I come up with

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Maybe check wiring and connections on the steering column. Seems like a connector has been repinned incorrectly or something is shorted together. The steering column is the most likely place for brake/ turn signals and ignition to get crossed up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals