1989 2.9 ranger: journey to passing inspection

Oaktree22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
I'm still in highschool and can't get my permit yet, so I decided that I'd have time to work on a truck instead of spending a lot for a newer one.

My dad and I asked a family friend about the old ranger that he had, since it didn't pass inspection. He said $200, so he brought it over and we got the title taken care of.

Afterwards it sat at my house for a while, one of the brake lines blew while we were moving it around, so that's been added to the list of to-do's. Then it sat for a while longer.

One day we decided to start working on it, the first hurdle was a lug nut that had completely rounded off, we ended up drilling out the stud. After taking off the rear tires and brake drums, we sprayed down the bed bolts, and pulled off the bed.

Afterwards we redid the exhaust behind the cats, just a 2 inch pipe with a cherry bomb salute, a little quieter than I'd liked.

That's all we've done to her so far, updates will be out over time.

Before bed removal:

After:

The new exhaust:

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 32B05A80BF19AF Expires: July 1st, 2020

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I know you guys like noisy exhaust systems, I was young once also. Anything to get the girls to notice. But you don't want it too noisy, it can be a cop caller. I think your inspections in PA can be more strict than down here in Va and while a inspection station down here won't fail you for a straight through glasspack (as long as it doesn't leak) the cop can write you a ticket for it if they feel like it. All exhaust systems must be baffled in Va. Any straight through exhaust is illegal. Don't know what the rules are in Pa.

Oaktree22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
I know you guys like noisy exhaust systems, I was young once also. Anything to get the girls to notice. But you don't want it too noisy, it can be a cop caller. I think your inspections in PA can be more strict than down here in Va and while a inspection station down here won't fail you for a straight through glasspack (as long as it doesn't leak) the cop can write you a ticket for it if they feel like it. All exhaust systems must be baffled in Va. Any straight through exhaust is illegal. Don't know what the rules are in Pa.
I don't think we've got any laws against straight through, my dad has one on his 150. I like the sound it makes, but I'd like it to be just loud enough to hear from the cab, cuz I can't even hear it from inside at 3 grand.

RobbieD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Good move, learning to work on it before you can even drive it. That will help you a lot, down the road. Keep posting updates, and good luck!

PetroleumJunkie412

2.9 Mafia
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
2.9 ranger is as good as it gets in my eyes.

Reliable if maintained well, good in stock form, can be built to?? We'll find out this summer with mine at least.

snoranger

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'17
Make / Model
All Fords
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!