• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 samurai LWB build

which tire to go to after new axles

• Total voters

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
You obviously missed the part about it not being a 1st gen... The only part thats actually that era is the cab and axles and the cab is done for, there no floor whatsover along with everything about 4" up from the floor. It was either this and a new cab next winter or a scrap yard

Last edited:

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
kinda started on this thing again. got the starter in the other day and started running cables for my remote battries i had to go to the junkyard to pick up some parts off an intrepid they have their battries in a retarded place and this was helpfull to me. because of that they have a remote jumpstart location and i grabbed those terminals to use on my sammi but i forgot them in zacs truck so pics of that will have to wait.

i also finally got this installed today.

my front driveshaft is done but i dont have the cash so i dont have it yet

gotta love extended brakelines

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
i got the front end all back together today and managed to break off a felt ring protector bolt.... shitty... so il guess ill try and deal with that tommorow. also heres the pics of that remote jumpstart thing i was talking about

plan is to run the negitives to the frame in the back of the truck then run the 2 positives up to the inner fenders up front then thats where ill tap in for the power for my fan, winch, starter etc that way all i really have to change is the one terminal from a battry post type connector to a eyelet then i think thats it

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
another small update. when i was putting the front and back togther yeterday i managed to break a felt ring protector bolt. and managaed to get the rest of the bolt out today. i got lucky and when i was drilling for the easy out the bit caught and spun the bolt out for me. :D

also got the power steering pump in and started the wiring for my battries. i know im being very slow but at least im finally getting some progress without having to go back and redo shit. and its actually getting me motivated to work on this again so im hoping it gets wrapped up soon.
i also started looking into tires and am thinking of just buying new because i know i want to stay on 38.5"s now and the difference in price between boggers and swampers is $3.... which makes things diffeicult i dont knwo which i want i know my tsls work great so its hard to change, but at the same time ive always ALWAYS wanted boggers.

but after thinking about it for a while i think that im gonna get the $ saved up (considering its the same cost for each) then im going to surf kijiji for boggers. if theres a screaming deal on a set used ill go with boggers and use the leftover cash for somthing else. and if theres nothing on kijiji ill be getting new 38.5x15R15 bias ply swampers

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
another small update. got my front driveshaft last night and wired up my battries (for the most part today)

these are the connectors from the intrepid one for each battry these are also where im connecting the power for my winch

all uncovered the orange is to the starter and the big black cable runs to the back for my positive for the battry everything else is electric fans lights etc.

nicley covered up so i dont have to worry about it arcking off somthing by accident. ||

i stopped today cause i ran outta connectors ill grab some when i go back into town today

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
alright a few things got done i finally got my front driveshaft back from being lengthened and started putting them back in and of course theres 3 bolt patterns for toyota driveshafts and not one of mine match up lol both driveshafts are different from each other and the transfercase flanges match my rear pinion flange but the front one is different too. long story short it sucks re drilling new patterns into 4 flanges while under the truck because of course i didnt do it while the transfercase and diffs were out of the truck. :roll:

also picked up new meats 36x12.50r15 tsls on black D window rims

had a very slight rubbing problem between my caliper and the backside of the D part of the rim

problem solved

i spend about 5 seconds on each caliper it was rubbing that little

also picked up some new seats to replace my tattered and torn stock seats.

theyre out of a prelude. its kinda funny the only time ive had leather buckets is gonna be in my off road truck lol

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
when are you going to beat on this thing man!?!?!?!

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
lol soon as i can.

with working too much i got no time for it then now being laid off and working on it outside in canada in the winter i have to brush like a ft of snow off if it to do anything its hard to get motivation. plus i just bought this

but its just about there. gotta wait for one day thats its above -5 cecius so i dont spend 4 hrs trying to get gear oil into the transmission then its just wiring for the battries and i think i can rip it around the block at least.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Where did you get the reverse rotation drills from and what did they cost?

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
im pretty sure crappy tire carries them but i got a our set from matco. honestly i dont remember what they cost

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
a few more things done. i went to put my driveshafts in the other day and surprisr sursprise they have a different bolt pattern then the pinion flanges... all four flanges were wrong. :bawling:

so after drilling the pinion flanges on the truck it was time to do the transfercase... and lying on your back trying to put any sort of pressure on into the drill just wasnt happening so i ended up pulling the flanges off and drilling them on my trailer

once that was done i bolted up my driveshafts

so i think all ive got left is to finsih the wiring for my battries and im good to take it around the block at least. i still need to plumb the power steering pump, finish a body mount, weld my rear perches in place, and get the shifters in which means im going to have to cut another hole in my transmission tunnel this will make the 3rd time its had to be done :annoyed:

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
got bored today so i robbed an old bicycle and made up a hand throttle.
getting an idea on mounting it

i had to strip the sheath back some to get more wire out

so i stole a cable ajuster out of the bottom of my old seats and cut a groove in the bracket to hold it

the end of the cable is clamped into the lever for my cruise controll

so i had to make a handle for my hand throttle because the shifter handle was too narrow. its just a chunk of handle bar welded to the shifter

all painted up and finsihed

i have absolutly no idea if im ever going to need this but there have been occasions b4 where ive had to drive with 3 feet and it sucks so this will be handy for those rare times. plus it cost me 4 dollars

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals