• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger XLT 2.9L 2wd A4LD - Transmission Vacuum Modulator

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I recently discovered that the vacuum modulator on my trans is leaking fluid into my intake, so I decided to buy one and change it. Well, I noticed that it's kinda tricky to get to on my truck (the cat. converter blocks easy access), and that Autozone offers two different ones for my truck: Blue color coded, or NO color coded. I would really rather not try one, get it in, find out it's the wrong one, and have to take it back out again. Does anyone know exactly what kind it takes? Like I said, they offer either Blue color code, or NO color code. They both look identical, except for the adjustment screw which is just further in on the blue, and further out on the no color. Both same price. Thanks guys, any input will be much appreciated.

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It is NOT the blue coded one. Just put it in my truck, now it won't shift. Maybe it will at 4k RPM, but I got all the way up to 3k rpm, slowly depressing the throttle, and nothing. It stayed in first. I'm going to put the other one in tomorrow, and we'll see how that goes. I just spent the past 2 hours under my truck doing this, and now it's worse than before. Pretty pissed.

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Alrighty, even though this hasn't been much of a "discussion", I'd still like to put it out there for whoever needs it that the "non color coded" Transmission Modulator is what works for my 1988 Ranger XLT 2.9L 2wd A4LD. If anyone else out there needs to know which, this is for you. I popped it in earlier, and it shifts like a dream now, and no more trans fluid goin to my intake. Hope this short little thread helps someone =].

jhammel85

I guess the blue one is for 4wd? I hate how many variances there are with parts for our trucks...

I just had the same problem with brake lines. I found that one type was for before 10/86 and one was after. How can you tell if your truck is built in 10/86! I ended up needed the prior to 10/86 brake lines, lol.

JSerr5130

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same problem on my 94 ranger.It has a 3.0 / A4LD , and what I've noticed is that you depleted the tranny of oil . Mine slips now,especially when I get on it. Gonna look into doing a 5.0GT /4 sp.auto later on

trikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
yes you did help w/my problem there disturbed.
my 4x takes the blue one. I asked about it when I bought the part for my '94 V6
btw I had a bad flange on the tailpipe junction so I pulled the cats and knocked a hole thru them then replaced - lots easier said than done. while I had the cats off I replaced the modulator.
the tailpipe flange I had to adapt a universial sort of flange to fit which took me couple hours to do and much die grinding
and the grade 8 studs in the front cat flange were frozen - lucky for me the most inaccesible stud wrung intwo (cheater bar on 1/2" breaker) and so did the next most in accesible stud. the bottom I sawed in2. then had to drill them out they would not drive out w/a punch so rusted frozen. used 3 nitrided bits to drill them, grade 8 is a PITA to do anything with
good luck triker

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals