• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1988 Ranger wont start without jumping starter solenoid

aeaton9021

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
My 1988 Ranger 2.3l suddenly would not start with the key. I am able to jump the solenoid, and it starts every time that way. I have replaced the neutral safety switch, the starter solenoid, the battery and the ignition switch. I still have to jump the starter solenoid to start the truck. I have even tired bringing the wheels to center and then trying to start it, nope. I have also checked the fuses and all wires and connections. All good there. What is wrong with this truck? This is the first major problem I have had out of it in 12 years.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On the starter RELAY, on the inner fender is the "S" post, its the smaller post, should have a red/blue stripe wire on it
(It is actually a relay, not a solenoid that is on the inner fender, just FYI)

That red/blue wire should have 12volts when key is turned to START, test for that with volt meter or test light grounded to battery negative or a known good ground

If you have a 4 post starter relay it will also have a small "I" post as well, that is not used, must use the "S" post, it WILL have a "S" next to it

If you don't have 12volt on the red/blue wire with key turned to START then thats the problem

Power path is not that involved for this:

12v battery positive----(fusible link)----ignition switch--------clutch or neutral switch------------starter relay "S" post

In 1988 it should be a red/blue wire from ignition switch to starter relay
In 1989 it changed to a pink wire from ignition switch and changed to red/blue at clutch or neutral switch

When you say you are "jumping the solenoid" so you mean you are putting 12volts to "S" post?
If not then try that, it tests if starter relay is working
Starter relays frame must have a good ground for relay to close

Last edited:

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
As I remember, there is also a "Clutch Safety" that requires the clutch pedal to be depressed fully to enable power to the starter relay. If that switch fails, the relay signal/control post will never see the 12V it uses to power the windings and close the switch.
It may(is likely) not be the same switch as the brake light switch. It may be co-mounted with the brake light switch.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals