• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger Radio Plugs

JerrySab

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I recently pulled a radio/cassette from the local pick n pull to replace my recently deceased radio/tape player. It wasn't until I was attempting the swap that I noticed the differences:

1. The 'new' tape deck has 2 bundles of wires coming out of the back, rather than plugs hardwired to the back. I'm assuming these are simply extension cords, but I've been wrong before.
2. The 'gray' connector has 6 wires in the bundle, whereas my '88 only plug has 4 wires to plug into it. The tape deck was pulled from an '88, so I'm a bit thrown off.

I found wiring diagrams and believed I had everything correctly mapped out. KOEO, it lights up fine but radio does not activate, nor does tape deck. Attempting KOER, immediate short, truck will not start. I found the following information, and thought I mapped everything out correctly. but boy oh boy the truck didnt like it.

Gray clip from truck has:
BLUE/red - Illumination
GREEN/yellow - Constant 12v
YELLOW/black - Switched/Ignition 12v. (this wire is way bigger than the others)
ORANGE/black. -??

Gray clip from stereo has:
RED/white - Constant 12v
YELLOW/black - Switched/Ignition 12v
BLUE/red - Dash Lights
BROWN - Illumination
BLACK - Ground
PINK - Antenna (not used?)

My immediate though goes to the ground wire, as that doesn't seem to be accounted for in the truck-side wiring. But then I also wonder if I simply don't have the wire functions mapped out correctly. Either way, don't want to fry circuits over something so dumb as a junkyard tape deck.

Sorry if this has been covered someplace else, I'm having a tough time finding any meaningful difference between my old dead tapedeck and the new one, outside of the different harness.
EDIT: photos for reference.

IMG_9947.JPG

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Maybe one is the premium radio system VS the lower end system? IDK. Never pulled a radio before...got one to put in my 87 Ranger realized the whole dash has to come apart, realized all the plastic pieces that are 30+ years old would break trying to get it apart and changed my mind about needing a working radio.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

JerrySab

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the links!

The dash config is different between the '88 and '90. but I know of little difference in the wiring. Also, what a PITA trying to find speaker diagrams.

I'm inclined to believe the orange/black wire from truck is ground wire, and so just needs to be pointed to black wire from stereo, but the diagram shows it's another illumination wire. I need to test when I get home.

Last edited:

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have the ford factory wiring diagram for the 88 and 90 models . Here are pictures that are that closest resembles yours . Can I get a picture of the speaker wires . All plugs had a part number on them , all different letters at the end of them . I presume you have neither. Speaker wires really haven't changed from 84 to 2000 . There are about ten different diagrams for them . See chart !! If you can get the part # off the other plugs I should be able to send you a pictures of those wires . Hope this helps.

Attachments

JerrySab

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have the ford factory wiring diagram for the 88 and 90 models . Here are pictures that are that closest resembles yours . Can I get a picture of the speaker wires . All plugs had a part number on them , all different letters at the end of them . I presume you have neither. Speaker wires really haven't changed from 84 to 2000 . There are about ten different diagrams for them . See chart !! If you can get the part # off the other plugs I should be able to send you a pictures of those wires . Hope this helps.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
super helpful. I think it might be premium? I'll grab some photos in a moment. The tape deck itself has a different configuration than any of I've seen, whereby the tape is ejected by pushing the FF/RW buttons simultaneously. What's typically the EJECT button is either 'flip tape' or a different sound output. it's super odd.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
the number on the plugs will really help .

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
The tape deck itself has a different configuration than any of I've seen, whereby the tape is ejected by pushing the FF/RW buttons simultaneously. What's typically the EJECT button is either 'flip tape' or a different sound output. it's super odd.
sounds like the one we had in our Areostar back in the day with DolbySound or whatever it's called.

JerrySab

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
WIRES.jpg
IMG_9959.JPG

Here's how it's laying out. WIth this, the truck does fire on ignition and run, so that's better.
Clock works, back light works, but clock radio does not work, radio does not turn on.

Using my tiny 12v battery I could activate the motor for the cassette player, so I know it has the ability to function.
It may just be that this

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Any numbers on the plugs? Try an external ground from the radio to metal. It's a 87 radio but still could be in a 88 . The 90 I just did had 86 plugs in it . I'll do some more looking into the diagrams to see what wire or wires activate the radio and tape player . If your old radio was a regular radio you may have to add or jump a wire. That black plugs appears to be one of the premium radio harness.

JerrySab

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Any numbers on the plugs? Try an external ground from the radio to metal. It's a 87 radio but still could be in a 88 . The 90 I just did had 86 plugs in it . I'll do some more looking into the diagrams to see what wire or wires activate the radio and tape player . If your old radio was a regular radio you may have to add or jump a wire. That black plugs appears to be one of the premium radio harness.
no I may be misunderstanding, but I don’t see any numbers on the plugs.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
is the yellow/black wire hot? It is fused

JerrySab

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Most diagrams say it's 12v on ignition. I will check to see if that's true. It looks like 12 gauge wire, where the others look like 16. Quite larger.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
orange black goes to dimmer switch for dash light

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals