• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger 4x4 2.9L Auto to 302 auto/manual swap start

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hi there, I have a 1988 4x4 2.9L Automatic Ranger Extended Cab and I'd like to do a 5.0L 302 swap with a manual transmission or an automatic transmission (whichever is easier). I'm posting because I'd like to know what all I need for this swap and possibly an estimate on costs if possible. I'd like to keep it 4x4. Thank you.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you haven't been here then this is a good page to bookmark: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

In the Engine section or Conversion section are articles on V8 swaps
Several
Read them all

The most common method is to buy a 1996 to 2001 V8 Explorer, 4x4(in your case), they were all automatics
You get pretty much all the parts needed for the swap with the one purchase
1996/7 are the best years to use

But some don't want fuel injection or computers so you can use any year 302(5.0l) V8 with carb and distributor, very little wiring needed

The 302(5.0l) V8s are only 19" wide so fit, barely, in Ranger engine bay
Other V8 models, especially with Overhead Cams are too wide

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
If you haven't been here then this is a good page to bookmark: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

In the Engine section or Conversion section are articles on V8 swaps
Several
Read them all

The most common method is to buy a 1996 to 2001 V8 Explorer, 4x4(in your case), they were all automatics
You get pretty much all the parts needed for the swap with the one purchase
1996/7 are the best years to use

But some don't want fuel injection or computers so you can use any year 302(5.0l) V8 with carb and distributor, very little wiring needed

The 302(5.0l) V8s are only 19" wide so fit, barely, in Ranger engine bay
Other V8 models, especially with Overhead Cams are too wide
So there's no big problems going from a fuel injected fuel system like the one on my EFI 2.9L to the carb system on a carbureted 302?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, in fact I think the 1988 Rangers had the low pressure lift pump in the gas tank and then a high pressure pump in the frame rail for fuel injection use, so carb setup could just use the low pressure pump, and you would remove high pressure pump
But worst case is you add a Fuel Pressure regulator for 7-9psi on the current high pressure system

EFI and distributorless engines are better in all respects, but carb/distributor are easier for most to work on, and wire up
You would need an AOD automatic, 4x4 version, and transfer case(Ranger trans and transfer case won't work)
AOD was the last automatic that didn't need computer control, AODE did need a computer

If you have electric shift 4WD then the V8 electric shift transfer cases are plug and play, just larger for V8 power, but same shift motor and control

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals