• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 ranger 2.9L overheating

Ray1995

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
ive replaced thermostat to a 175° one and replaced radiator, radiator cap, temperature sensor, coolant, water pump, all the coolant lines, heater core, new electric fan, everything but head gasket but not getting any coolant in my oil and i loose about a cup a week and says it over heats sometimes but not getting and boil over or anything

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Are your hoses leaking, I use double clamps on each end.

First, remove your thermostat and check it to make sure that it works properly, even if it's new.

If everything else is verified not leaking or new and your heater core isn't leaking, to troubleshoot your "leak", leave the Tstat out and run the engine with no Tstat for a tank of fuel, see if it holds it's water.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Youre sure its overheating? Or is it a gauge issue?

Mine will randomly jump to "H" sometimes when i press the clutch to stop. But the other gauges also climb.

Have you bled the system after all that?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ive replaced thermostat to a 175° one and replaced radiator, radiator cap, temperature sensor, coolant, water pump, all the coolant lines, heater core, new electric fan, everything but head gasket but not getting any coolant in my oil and i loose about a cup a week and says it over heats sometimes but not getting and boil over or anything
Welcome to TRS :)

Cold engine
Remove rad cap
Top up rad with water if its not at the top
Start engine
Watch rad coolant level
There might be an overflow at startup, but just for a second or two
Watch for more over flow
let it idle for 2 minutes
There should be no overflowing or bubbles in the rad cap opening
If there is you have a bad head gasket or cracked head, coolant in the oil rarely happens anymore because of better gasket material, but can happen
Absence of coolant in the oil is not a "sign" of anything

For a better test search our forum for Glove Test

Boldster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ray, this may be can help you. I replace EVERYTHING on the cooling system of my 88 2.9L ( water pump, hoses, radiator, thermostat, fan clutch, heater core, etc, etc, etc and looking for Motorcraft or Ford parts, no cheap aftermarket trash) trying to solve kind of possessed temp gauge... one day high temp on traffic stops, next day high temp on the highway, other day normal temp, next day high temp if I turn on the AC and so .... replaced 4 thermostat, different brands and temps.... problem still. Totally tired of the problems I decide to remove the thermostat... then she run too cold and start to drinking gas like a 747 Jumbo... So, I decide to do something I hear from my father 50 years ago, drill four 1/8" holes on the thermostat to improve water flow and reduce the thermal shock over the radiator every time the thermostat open, also help to remove air from the system... well, problem solved. I know is not the perfect technical solution but it works, temp is stable now on the "M" and I can drive safely, looking traffic outside with both eyes instead have one on the temp gauge all the time... I order now a new thermostat, 160 degrees that offer 50% more water flow to test if it works, I will keep you posted....

Boldster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Follow Up of the cooling system adventure... I install a Motorad high flow 180F thermostat ( Mod # 2040180) no holes drilled... Now temp gauge goes very quickly to the center of the scale (between R and M) and the most important, remain there even with the AC on and driving on rush hours traffic here in the nice Central Florida summer temperatures ( 90-100F). I get back my mental health !!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals