• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger 2.9 V8 swap

Mrproff97

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
So this is my first thread I am inquiring for as much information I can on what v8, transmission and rear end is best for the swap I would like to go carbureted and have a manual trans but I don’t want to reinvent the wheel to do so, I have little to no experience swapping engines so any input will be appreciated and considered.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
2wd or 4wd? If it's 2wd, I would find a 302 and a T5 like a 5.0 mustang setup and drop it in place.

Mrproff97

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
2wd or 4wd? If it's 2wd, I would find a 302 and a T5 like a 5.0 mustang setup and drop it in place.
2wd, I had considered that but I’d like to keep the bench seat I was thinking if I went that way maybe I could cut a sort of half moon shape into the center of it and have an upholstery sew it up. Do you by chance know of any articles that explain the process for the 5.0 and t5 swap?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
2wd, I had considered that but I’d like to keep the bench seat I was thinking if I went that way maybe I could cut a sort of half moon shape into the center of it and have an upholstery sew it up. Do you by chance know of any articles that explain the process for the 5.0 and t5 swap?
Check out the Tech Library, at the top of THIS page

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Your truck looks like exactly what I wanted, I ended up with a 93 longbox because the one I found wasn't rusty. In NH, not rusty trumps all other factors.
A Chevy S10 with a T5 had the shifter mounted further forward so it would clear the seat. Or you could use a lever like this:
1669906320549.png

Mrproff97

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thank you everyone for replying this helps a lot I will keep this thread updated as I start the swap, much appreciated

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals