• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab - 7.5 Rear Axle Swap To Ford 8.8

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That welder would do fine for spring perches and shock mounts.

For the parking brake cables, did you get the cables from the explorer axle? I would recommend using those up to the point where the splice deal is between the front half and rear half, I think I have a picture somewhere... can't find it right now though

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Forgot the emergency brake cables. Almost got them but the cable connector at the drivers side door was throwing me for a loop. Was unsure how to disconnect so me and my friend focused on detaching the axle
May get emergency brake cables to work with new for a 97 ford explorer

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Been looking at my options to weld,
Option 1: bring axle to local welding shop
or 2 buy gas generator and welder

Someone is selling a wen power pro 5500 for 300. I am a little confused if a welder can be plugged into the L15-30P socket. There must be adapters for plugs. Just unsure on the voltage and amperage provided by circuit on generator and if it will be enough.
Its either a welding shop or generator

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Do you have an electric dryer at your house…? or an electric stove? If so you can plug a welder into those for 220v power. You just need to build an adapter to go from whatever plug is on your welder to whatever is on the wall… I ran my welder off my dryer outlet for many years, worked great.

You could have a shop do it but you’ll need to tack it together temporarily during transport after you set your pinion angle and figure out where your shock brackets need to be. Could do that with a cheap 110v welder.

Dunno about the generator - 5500w might be enough? You probably need a 20 amp circuit on the generator at minimum… 30 would be better, and the appropriate plug adapter.

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Found some who has direct experience with this work and is mobile. He said if I can mock it up and he can come in there and weld it I should be good to go. 150/hr
If I can do all the prep work for him it should take at most 3-4 hrs

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Talked with my neighbor and he can do TIG welding. Trying to figure out pinion angle. I measured 11 degrees on the axle / rear drive shaft and 13 degrees on the shaft from the transfer case. Where can I get measurements that were standard for the vehicle and for the 8.8 swap I think the axle sits lower, but everything should even out once the front is swapped?

Just got the axle under the truck and the old one out. Tires are being staged with axle and working on the brake lines and emergency brake lines. Need to get Ford Explorer emergency brake line and adapter.

Shock mounts and leaf perches are on their way.

Been looking at the transmission and engine here and there and am thinking about a inline 6 Ford 300 with the NP435 - heard the NP435 is easier to repair

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That 300 6 is a great motor, has a lot of low end torque too, metal timing gear. Good luck with yours man

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
you were right on the 3/16th brake line and nuts. Got a stuck flare nut at the t junction of the ranger. Not sure what to do. Got the 1st one off the right way with cutting the pipe and using a socket on it. The 2nd one I used vice grips. Its stripped. Wish I would have done the same with this one. Any ideas? Thinking about replacing t junction if I can't.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I have a short 8" pipe wrench that works if the bolt/nut is accessible. they put more pressure on as you pull.
sometimes working the vise grips back & forth a small amount can sort of grind into the bolt/nut, then try the big pull again.

new junction means you get to work on the old fitting at the other end of the flex line, beware the cascade affect :stop:

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I think I should try to get this bolt out. The work to get everything connected won't be as bad. I'll try a few more times

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I have a short 8" pipe wrench that works if the bolt/nut is accessible. they put more pressure on as you pull.
sometimes working the vise grips back & forth a small amount can sort of grind into the bolt/nut, then try the big pull again.

new junction means you get to work on the old fitting at the other end of the flex line, beware the cascade affect :stop:
Hell yeah the pipe wrench worked!!!!!!!! on the flare that was rounded off

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
t junction saved :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals