• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab - 7.5 Rear Axle Swap To Ford 8.8

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
ok, that makes sense. Mainly the u brackets, but I'm surr I can buy the brackets and second drivers side shock mount as well.

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Can I use a 8.8 matching axle for the front?

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
since I'm at the junkyard I may get the matching front.

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Would anyone know the bolt diameter/size of the diff cover bolts on this axle? I'm not sure if they are some mm or 1/2inch bolts

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
They're either 1/2" or 13mm, if you use a 6pt 13mm it'll work either way, even 12pt 13mm is probably fine...

The Dana 35 was used with the 8.8 in Explorers and was default on 4x4 '90-97 Rangers, it's pretty much a bolt in other than you would have to shorten your front driveshaft 1"

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Got the 8.8 from a 97 Ford Explorer with a D4 axle code. Should have 3.73 LS. Pulling the axle was a pain lol. now I'll have to get the leaf perches, a driver's side strut mount or reuse the ones of the axle. Weld everything together and make the sure the pinion angle is good leaf spring wise. The strut mount positioning is not very clear to me yet.
For the ranger looking at putting a Ford 302 and a new transmission + transfer case.
Guy on FB market place is selling a 302 HO out of a 94 Lincoln Mark 8 rebuilt. Funny thing is his project vehicle is an 88 Ford Bronco 2 - same year as my ranger
Any thoughts on the transmission and motor choice for a truck?
The bore and stroke are moderately different.

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Definitely need a new soft line at the junction and then a fitting that adapts to the stock hardline of the ranger. Doing some research on what I need too adapt the axle

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
For the brake lines just get another passenger side soft line for the drivers side that gets rid of the short drivers side line to the frame. Then get a brake line flaring tool and a small tubing cutter, cut the Explorer hard line in the middle about where the Ranger line Tee mounts to the axle and get two brake line nuts (I think they're 3/8"-24) and flare the tubing after putting those on

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
For the brake lines just get another passenger side soft line for the drivers side that gets rid of the short drivers side line to the frame. Then get a brake line flaring tool and a small tubing cutter, cut the Explorer hard line in the middle about where the Ranger line Tee mounts to the axle and get two brake line nuts (I think they're 3/8"-24) and flare the tubing after putting those on
so basically get a longer brake line hose from frame to the new junction I will put in.
What happens to the stock junction on the axle on the drivers side rear and the line that normally goes up to the hard brake line on the explorer?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You put a stock Explorer passenger side soft line on the drivers side going from the end of the hard line to the caliper, that gets rid of the soft line that would go up to the frame on an explorer. Then you basically convert it to take the stock Ranger center mount soft line.

If you look past the broken trail repair (that lasted like 5 years...) in this picture you can kinda see the passenger side soft line I put on the drivers side and the stock Ranger center drop soft line I have installed on mine... I thought I had a better picture from the back but apparently not...

20220324_202159.jpg

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
so the threads on the new brake line nuts should screw into the t junction of the ranger and the brake line flare kit is to secure the pipe into the nut?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You put a flare on the line, so when you tighten the nut, it compresses the end of the line into the t-junction forming a seal that doesn't leaks even at >1,500 psi when you slam on the brakes.
Note: Remember to put the nut, the correct way around, on the line before flaring the end of the line (or you get to cut the flare off, put nut on correct and redo the flare.

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
ok, that makes sense. been reading up on that.
I have a problem - may need to cut emergency brake wire line to drum brakes - would that be okay? Not sure if cutting the emergency line on the ranger axle is okay for length when going to the explorer. I think I have to cut externally of the drum. wheel is stuck on other side and the drum brake cover is off center pressed on an angle

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Hobart 500554 Handler 190 MIG Welder 230V was looking at this welder would this be good for the axle application

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals