• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ford Ranger Starter Relay switch

Rajendora

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can anyone show us the correct way to hook up the wires to the starter relay on the 1988 ford ranger? A photo would be the best help.

My hubby had a stroke over a year ago, and is recovering, but can't use his left arm, and has lost all his muscle. He was working on the truck, but a 'helpful' neighbor walked into our garage and took over. This got my husband confused and frustrated and now he can't remember where the wires go, and the whole thing is a mess.

We did change the starter before 'Mr. Helpful' showed up, and the battery is being charged at the shop. The only thing wrong is the wiring on the starter relay. It has to be an 1988 ford ranger with v6 engine, manual transmission, no AC. Thank you.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
its quite simple really, but i dont have any pics so bear with me. the pos cable from the battery goes to one side of the relay, the cable to the starter goes to the other side. it doesnt matter which is which, whatever fits and routes cables the best. the side with the battery cable will be hot all the time. all of your fuse links (eye terminals) go to this side. that's the power distribution for this truck, so they all go on the hot side. the other side will only be hot with the key in start, so the only thing that goes there is the one cable to the starter motor. the red wire with a blue stripe goes to the small post on the relay. that's all there is to it.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Much like this

This is for a 90 Mustang; but, they are all just about the same. Hope it helps, Ed

Rajendora

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you so very much! This is a huge help because we were being brow beaten over the photo in the manual not matching the reality and THIS is the same thing!

Neighbor's barred from the garage on pain of being brained with a tire iron, I've had it!

Now we just need a new battery and it's all good. THANK YOU!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals