• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ford Ranger No Fuel Pressure

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I'll just start from beginning to end. I fueled up at loves and brought my ranger back to my house and parked it. Engine off and all. About an hour later it started up fine, took it to Tractor Supply because I had to get feed. It ran fine all the way to tractor supply, nothing unusual. I come out of Tractor Supply to start my truck and nothing. I get my fuel pressure gauge out and no pressure whatsoever. Had it towed home so I could work on it. I tested my high pressure pump and my high pressure pump is working fine. Replaced fuel filter after high pressure pump. Bypassed the inertia switch. I decided to send my truck to the local mechanic in my area because I have too much going on with school and all. Mechanic says that the in tank pump is bad and needs to be replaced, which I'm going to do it as it's a pretty easy job. Although the previous owner from 3 months ago said that he replaced the in tank pump, I'd like to test the in tank pump. How can I go about doing that? I really wanna fix it myself so I can save money. Thanks

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Pull the sending unit out of the tank and connect a 12v battery to the two terminals on the pump and see if it runs. Wouldn't surprise me if it failed, aftermarket pumps these days are awful. I was going through a pump every year in my '86... I replaced like 10 of them. Finally seem to have found a good one, haven't had a problem in 3-4 years now.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I just unhooked the line at the black "canister" on the frame turned the key on and watched for fuel.

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Pull the sending unit out of the tank and connect a 12v battery to the two terminals on the pump and see if it runs. Wouldn't surprise me if it failed, aftermarket pumps these days are awful. I was going through a pump every year in my '86... I replaced like 10 of them. Finally seem to have found a good one, haven't had a problem in 3-4 years now.
What should I look for if the pump is good?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What should I look for if the pump is good?
Well in that case I would hook the wiring back up to the sending unit, turn the key and see if it spits fuel out... rule out the wiring.

Sometimes I will unplug the high pressure pump and turn the key to run and see if I can hear the one in the tank. You may need an assistant to do that while you have your ear up next to the tank, it's pretty quiet.

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Well in that case I would hook the wiring back up to the sending unit, turn the key and see if it spits fuel out... rule out the wiring.

Sometimes I will unplug the high pressure pump and turn the key to run and see if I can hear the one in the tank. You may need an assistant to do that while you have your ear up next to the tank, it's pretty quiet.
when you say hook the wiring back up to the sending unit, you mean high pressure pump correct? i’ve done that and unplugged the line on it to see if it’s working and spitting fuel, and it is. when i get the truck back i’ll try the second thing you said.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals