• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ford Ranger 2.9 With Electric 4x4 won't engage

mrkilroy6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I have a 1988 ford ranger with a 2.9, 5 speed, and electronic transfer case. The problem I'm having is that it won't go into four wheel drive. I press the button and I don't hear any clicks or anything and nothing happens. I used both troubleshooting guides in the help section and a couple of things came up out of range. Pins 2, 3 and 6 on the pigtail, and pins 2 and 3 on the eight pin connector were out of range. 2 and 3 on the eight pin connector relate to the speed sensor. Where is this located. What do the 2, 3 and 6 pins on the pigtail go to?

Here are all of the troubleshooting steps I took

First initiated the self test on the control module. Led light flashed.

Then I tested the circuits

Eight-Wire Pigtail Harness Connector

1. Connect a voltmeter between terminal 8 and ground. The voltmeter should indicate battery voltage at all times.
Check
2. Connect a voltmeter between terminal 7 and ground. Then turn the ignition switch to the RUN position. The voltmeter should then indicate battery voltage.
check
3. Connect an ohmmeter between terminal 6 and ground. The ohmmeter should indicate a low resistance value (less than 10 ohms)
24 ohms
4. Connect an ohmmeter between terminals 4 and 5 of the wiring harness connector. The ohmmeter should indicate a low resistance value (less than 10 ohms).
10 ohms
5. Connect an ohmmeter between terminal 3 and ground. The ohmmeter should indicate zero ohms.
19 ohms
6. Connect an ohmmeter between terminal 2 and ground. The ohmmeter should indicate zero ohms.
19 ohms

Five-Wire Harness Connector

1. Connect an ohmmeter between terminals 1 and 2. Then depress the 4×4 (2H-4H) switch. The ohmmeter should indicate a low resistance value (less than 50 ohms) while the switch is being depressed.
25 ohms
2. Connect an ohmmeter between terminals 1 and 3. Then depress the LOW RANGE switch. The ohmmeter should indicate a low resistance value (less than 50 ohms) while the switch is being depressed.
46 ohms
3. Connect a test lead between terminal 4 and ground. Turn the ignition switch to RUN and observe the indicator lights. The LOW RANGE light in the instrument panel and LOW RANGE indicator light on the switch should illuminate.
Low range indicator light stopped working before I encountered this issue
4. Connect a test lead between terminal number five and ground. Turn the ignition switch to RUN and observe the indicator lights. The 4×4 light in the instrument panel and 4×4 light on the switch should illuminate.
Check

Eight-Wire Harness Connector

1. Connect an ohmmeter between terminal 1 and ground. On a vehicle equipped with a manual transmission, depress the clutch pedal and observe the ohmmeter. The ohmmeter should indicate a low resistance (less than 50 ohms) while the clutch pedal is being depressed. If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, shift the transmission into NEUTRAL and observe the ohmmeter. The ohmmeter should indicate a low resistance (less than 50 ohms) while the transmission selector lever is in the NEUTRAL position.
25 ohms

2. Connect an ohmmeter between terminals 2 and 3. The Ohmmeter should indicate a low resistance reading (225-275 ohms). This will check the continuity of the speed sensor that is located in the transfer case. The speed sensor picks up the rotating speed of the transfer case rear output shaft from two notches that are cut in opposite sides of the outer ring of the clutch housing assembly.
310 ohms

This was the guide I used https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/checking-transfer-case-shift-module-circuits-1994-older/

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals