• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 ford bronco 2 or project 88 and its problems.

Project88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So here's the story of project 88. What was supposed to have been my saving grace and a ride that i built with my two hands has turned into a personal hell. I have had this truck since 2012 i was still a teen when i was working on it. Was going to school for automotive tech and this truck was my first experience with a full engine rebuild and manual transmission. I got it just because it was a manual. So i pulled the engine rebuilt it cause the block was ridged so badly it couldn't be reused after the truck had sat for 7 years before the owner let me have it for a dollar. So rebuilt the engine and its amazing but i replaced all of the clutch components twice over and still have no gears when at idle. I can't get it to go in any but it starts in gear and if pushed and started up it will run in gear but the clutch pedal is useless and before anyone says bleed it, I've bled this thing until it has no air in the system what so ever. So the clutch i put the inner bearing in with the seal facing the outside of the flywheel then placed the disc with the springs towards the pressure plate and the pressure plate was torqued down to the specs of the haynes manual. This truck also had a problem before it stopped running of being locked in 4wd low. Would the automatic transfercase have anything to do with the transmission not going into gear? I find this extremely unlikely but I've tried everything else so I'm out of options at this point hoping someone has some insight to my problem. Thanks.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Transfer case would not affect the clutch. What does the clutch pedal feel like? Is there some resistance to it as you push it to the floor?

Project88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Transfer case would not affect the clutch. What does the clutch pedal feel like? Is there some resistance to it as you push it to the floor?
Absolutely from the very top all the way down and please excuse the memes I'm new to the station and i find weird memes funny.

Project88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for editing. Whoever did it. I'm not great at posting on computers.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
your clutch is not working.

pull it out and verify parts and function

Project88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
your clutch is not working.

pull it out and verify parts and function
Is there any description of how it all goes together and what needs to be greased and what doesn't?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The pilot bearing should have come pre-greased. Then there is a special grease that goes on the splines if the transmission input shaft so the clutch can slide properly. That’s all I know of that gets greased.

You should take every precaution to prevent grease and oil from getting on the friction material and the flywheel surface. They need to be clean and dry.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Stop and think about it a little bit. Have you ever seen this truck move under it's own power? Or you got it as a project? Someone else's project? Did someone put something together wrong like the wrong combination of parts?

I am trying to think, someone else may know better than me. But the older setups used a different clutch setup. My 84 was one of them. When I swapped in a later manual trans into my 84, I had to make sure I used the later flywheel and all the clutch parts, or it would not work correctly. If I would have mixed and matched 84 parts with the later transmission, it probably would not have worked.

Project88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The pilot bearing should have come pre-greased. Then there is a special grease that goes on the splines if the transmission input shaft so the clutch can slide properly. That’s all I know of that gets greased.

You should take every precaution to prevent grease and oil from getting on the friction material and the flywheel surface. They need to be clean and dry.
Okay so thats correct then, cause i didn't grease the pilot seeing as it already had grease and i lightly greased the splines when i used the adjustment tool

Project88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well
Stop and think about it a little bit. Have you ever seen this truck move under it's own power? Or you got it as a project? Someone else's project? Did someone put something together wrong like the wrong combination of parts?

I am trying to think, someone else may know better than me. But the older setups used a different clutch setup. My 84 was one of them. When I swapped in a later manual trans into my 84, I had to make sure I used the later flywheel and all the clutch parts, or it would not work correctly. If I would have mixed and matched 84 parts with the later transmission, it probably would not have worked.
well it moved under its own power in 07 when i was 11 and it was my mothers truck at the time

Project88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

And as far as i know its an 88 fm146 5 speed from an 88 bronco 2 cause the transmission had never been removed until i had to rebuild the motor and all

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
books plural.

and now mitchell and many other companies have crazy stuff online..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals