• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Bronco II

Randall008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco ii
Transmission
Manual
Hey, new to forum. I’ve got a 1988 Ford bronco ii with a 2.9 v6 The bolts that hold down my motor mounts/motor mount insulators are loose. What should I torque those down to? I have the hanes manual and for some reason it gives very specific torque specs for fords 4 cylinder engines, but does not give any for the V6.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Don't worry about any torque values. Get them as tight as you can with a regular wrench or 3/8 ratchet. That will be good enough.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
85 foot pounds

Randall008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco ii
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for all the responses. This helps a lot. I could not find the answer or even the question anywhere. I have a 1/2 so I should be good

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Quite often, when in doubt, use the standard torque spec for the fastener according to it's size, material and grade. These specs are easy to find on Google. Bear in mind the type of material the fastener is threading into. Softer metals may have lower torque specs.

So, for a 9/16" grade 5 coarse thread bolt in steel, the torque would be 82-91 ft-lbs.

Also, remember bolt size is a measure of the thread diameter, NOT the size of the wrench you use on it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Actually, it's the shank diameter and the number of threads. So, 1/4-28, as and example, is a 1/4" shank with 28 threads per inch. The threads are not always the same outer diameter of the shank size. So, it's better the go by shank OD than thread OD.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Actually, it's the shank diameter and the number of threads. So, 1/4-28, as and example, is a 1/4" shank with 28 threads per inch. The threads are not always the same outer diameter of the shank size. So, it's better the go by shank OD than thread OD.
True. But it is generally noted as "nominal diameter" . The torque specs for fine thread are listed differently from coarse threads in the charts.

My point was, not knowing the OP or others who may read this thread, to make sure they understand the proper dimension to use. I've seen it in the forums and I encounter it with new guys at work. Some people think that a hex head bolt requiring a 7/8" wrench is a 7/8" bolt. That could lead to severely overtorquing a fastener and damaging things.

Last edited:

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
The listed size is MAX diameter, generally. Usually the bolt or fastener is a touch smaller than the nominal size, for a variety of reasons. Easier to cut the threads if it is a touch on the small size, and far less likely to have issues with a standard size nut. So a 1/4" bolt generally runs .230" - 0.245" or so, instead of exactly a quarter inch.

Strength of the fastener is based on the minor diameter of the thread. Thus, fine thread fasteners are rated as stronger than coarse thread fasteners, all things being equal.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You are both correct. I have seen some fasteners where the OD of the threads were larger than the shank size and others that the OD of the threads were smaller. Not your typical fasteners for sure but they do exist.

The comment about people not understanding that the socket or wrench size doesn't match the bolt size and shouldn't be used as the size to look up torque specs is not wrong either. Nor is the remark about the differences in fine and coarse thread. I was just using 1/4-28 as an example. Probably because that is one of the more common sizes I work with on the aircraft.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals