• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Bronco II Virginia Trail Build

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
"vehicle is still 33 years old, so axles, transfer case, wiring, interior, that type of stuff is still junk but I don't think it'll be on the road much longer, getting ready to get rid of it, tired of dealing with the worn out front end even after several thousand dollars in front end work, its still horrible to drive on the highway, it wanders all over the place after a few weeks having the front end work done, its right back to how it was before."

I will take it bill ....you can have that powertrain too

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
"vehicle is still 33 years old, so axles, transfer case, wiring, interior, that type of stuff is still junk but I don't think it'll be on the road much longer, getting ready to get rid of it, tired of dealing with the worn out front end even after several thousand dollars in front end work, its still horrible to drive on the highway, it wanders all over the place after a few weeks having the front end work done, its right back to how it was before."

I will take it bill ....you can have that powertrain too
I don't want it either. Yet apparently there are people dumb enough to be paying $6k+ for them as the values keep going up LOL.

Just noticed both front wheels are sitting at angles again, apparently the camber is screwed up on it once again.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I don't want it either. Yet apparently there are people dumb enough to be paying $6k+ for them as the values keep going up LOL.

Just noticed both front wheels are sitting at angles again, apparently the camber is screwed up on it once again.

Ya know. That's why they have a bad rap.

Once you learn how to tweak them your golden. If you can't do that shit yourself...it's almost always a costly pia.

If it's destroying tires rapidly that is one thing ...if it's not eating up tires...then when it's rolling under load it's actually Setting itself in the place it wants to be. And at rest the coils are just clapped.

Often people get talked into variable rate coils.....and for ttb...unless they are already well worn...that is a bad idea....unless you opted for lifetime alignments.

They don't handle right....with it floppy right where the arc in the transition is greatest ....

I don't know how many times I swapped in single rates for people that were about to junk the truck....and we're more then happy to live with the harsher ride once the truck drove what I consider normal.

Of course .... My axles on my trucks are from the 60,s and 70,s and the bronco is drums all around still. With captain cavepig suspension technology...

Extremely cost effective for daily use.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Ya know. That's why they have a bad rap.

Once you learn how to tweak them your golden. If you can't do that shit yourself...it's almost always a costly pia.

If it's destroying tires rapidly that is one thing ...if it's not eating up tires...then when it's rolling under load it's actually Setting itself in the place it wants to be. And at rest the coils are just clapped.

Often people get talked into variable rate coils.....and for ttb...unless they are already well worn...that is a bad idea....unless you opted for lifetime alignments.

They don't handle right....with it floppy right where the arc in the transition is greatest ....

I don't know how many times I swapped in single rates for people that were about to junk the truck....and we're more then happy to live with the harsher ride once the truck drove what I consider normal.

Of course .... My axles on my trucks are from the 60,s and 70,s and the bronco is drums all around still. With captain cavepig suspension technology...

Extremely cost effective for daily use.
Hmm, seems like it could be the coils and/or that TTB pivot that's worn. Interesting, I'll have to check that stuff out when better weather hits. Never thought about that, always thought those issues were camber problems due to worn camber bushings. Although here lately I've not been the least impressed by the local tire shops, so I guess its time I learn this stuff myself.

I don't really notice it chewing up the tires, but there's times the camber looks way off then there's times it sitting where it looks just fine, so maybe it is just depending upon how its setting and nothing really wrong. Although the wandering is a totally different issue I'd think. Have to get into that stuff when the weather straightens out. My 87 Ranger has none of these issues...luckily, the downfall is its only 2WD, and my driveway is a mess, and most of the side roads are as well so I've been stuck in the Bronco 2 this past month, and my Explorer has been stuck in the shop waiting to hopefully get fixed somehow with a bad ABS control module...which is NLA.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Waiting on a relay panel to get this finished but needed my gauges and power source for the fan so I can start running the engine. Mostly mock up and wiring the gauges yesterday. Need to figure out how to mount the console, will be digging in the scrap bin at work this week. Also ran main power supply (4 ga) and ground into the cabin to divert supply to different needs. This console will be a busy place but it will be nice to have everything accessible.

IMG_20220109_141034500.jpg
IMG_20220109_131657790.jpg

IMG_20220109_131650225.jpg

IMG_20220109_155319914.jpg
IMG_20220109_155327899.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
My Tuffy console directions suggest drilling holes in the floor and using nuts and bolts for installing. I'm opting for rivetnuts. My wife let me pick out my own Christmas presents this year... I was delighted to see Santa had brought me and new heavy duty rivnut gun and a bag or three of inserts.

My electrical will be far less then what you have going into your command console... I'm still wondering exactly how I will bring the my wire bundle into it. I'm thinking I will bring it in from the dash on top of the carpet for now... maybe go underneath when I install new vinyl flooring. I guess it will depend on how thick it is. What are your plans?

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
2 4 gauge wires brought in through rubber grommets in the firewall just below the heater box. Came in just to the right of the tunnel and ran under the carpet to the right of the shift console( I will get pics tonight). I am connecting the positive to a bus bar and negative to the fuse panel directly. I am adding a cooling fan in the console as well. The positive will get distributed to the fuse panel, relay panel, as well as the rear (10 ga +/-) for a pair of switches for rear lights, air compressor, and 12V supply ports. There will be a 30 Amp circuit breaker in the rear for the compressor the other components will be separately fused/controlled by relays. Up front I am planning, fog lights, fan override, roof lights (front), roof lights (side), interior lights, manual reverse lights, and possible spare. The rear will be interior lights and a spare switch unless I add reverse lights to that as well. Compressor will be on a heavy duty throw switch, with pressure switch in the circuit or possibly just a blow off valve.

The Rivnuts is a good idea. I may use those for fastening the console down, I like that idea. My goal is to be able to disconnect 2-4 wires from the console and remove it for any service need. Did not want the thing permanently forever fastened with 8000 wires going into it.. I will probably add the winch controller into it just to keep it neat.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well it sounds like you have a plan... that's gonna be a busy box for sure. I'm from Detroit... I need arm armrest for the Detroit Lean... lol.

I need to sit down and draw up a schematic and see what all I'm going to need. I'm going to try and keep anything high current under the hood (old school off road lights) and the console for the lower current work.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
I should have drawn mine out first to keep from ordering/returning stuff. I just jump at an opportunity to work on the thing so its usually last minute and ends in not having what I need when I need it. That is not a bad idea though! I do like an arm rest but maybe I can fab something up if I decide I need it. Your box has one correct?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yes... I bought a Tuffy 23-01. 6 1/2 inch wide... I thought the 8 inch was going to be to tight.

It's really a console more then a switch box/electrical center like yours.

My current plan it to use a switch box like the one I put in the Ranger but with 6 switches. They're heavy duty enough to run LED lighting without any relays.

Amazon.com: 6-Gang 12V Rocker Switch Box [40 Amp Max.] [12 AWG Wires][12 Volt DC] SPST On/Off Rocker Toggle Switch Panel Box for Auto Automotive Lights Car Marine Boat Truck Vehicles & More : Automotive

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
Waiting on a relay panel to get this finished but needed my gauges and power source for the fan so I can start running the engine. Mostly mock up and wiring the gauges yesterday. Need to figure out how to mount the console, will be digging in the scrap bin at work this week. Also ran main power supply (4 ga) and ground into the cabin to divert supply to different needs. This console will be a busy place but it will be nice to have everything accessible.

View attachment 70578 View attachment 70576

View attachment 70575

View attachment 70577 View attachment 70574
Your my hero...that is so freekin cool

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Thanks @ecgreen I honestly felt the same about your truck lol. And @Uncle Gump here is the power supply coming in. Take in mind these are not secured or connected so it is fairly rough routing and placement.

IMG_20220110_175405947.jpg

IMG_20220110_175418574.jpg

IMG_20220110_175427725.jpg

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Weather pac's... pass through grommet's... braided wire sleeve... heat shrink... etc... All of it says it isn't your first rodeo and it sure looks like you have a good plan.

I had never used the braided sleeve loom... I always used convoluted tubing. But I bought an assortment of sizes to use on my project. A little weird when I first started but didn't take much to get the hang of working with it. I pre built my gauge harness using it...

gauges.jpg

I also have a pair of these grommets that I plan to use to get my wire bundle(s) through the firewall. Pretty slick for moving a larger bundle...

Amazon.com: Universal Firewall Boot Pack of 2, For Wire Bundles 3/8" to 1", Quick & Easy Grommet for Running Cable Through Firewalls & Bulkheads Safely, Compatible with Any Vehicle : Automotive

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Those are pretty neat! Never seen them before. Amazon is amazing is it not...? And I was just about to post a question about gauges/sending units. Where should I post that Gump? Which forum? The gauges and harness you have look nice as well! And first time really wiring my own vehicle sorta but plenty of experience with major harness repair, diagnostics, and building on large equipment...

Wiring harness replacement and repair have been in my life for a long time :) Most the time combine harnesses just burnt up and you had to splice them back together. This was YEARS ago. Quite a few service trucks back as well..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals