• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Bronco II Virginia Trail Build

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
And yeah... I need a Tractor!

LOL

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Only update as of the last few weeks, I got my trans back..

Free time has not been on my side lately. Have had to deal with contractors at the house I plan to move to next month, empty my grandmothers house out and move her, work has been CRAZY and weekends have gotten shorter I think. That being said, I plan to work on this little pony Sunday if all goes correctly. Would like to see most of the engine together and maybe fuel tank, pump, and rear bumper...? Ehhh that sounds like wishful thinking. But, we shall see. Have a good weekend everyone.

ford_ranger_buyers_guide-2.JPG

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Current situation.. cussing, whoever put this hitch on has got to be one of the most half assed individuals to ever turn a wrench. That being said I feel regret in being to tight to not have gotten a torch yet. Glad I got that 3' 3/4 ratchet. Don't even bother undoing those 1/2" bolts just snap them off.
IMG_20210718_161847653.jpg

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
So not the amount of progress I wanted today but any time working on it is good. Got valve covers cleaned up and painted as well as timing cover cleaned and ready to install. Installed timing chain guides. Then was time to beat and bang. Got the old bumper off and dropped the fuel tank. Cleaned the fuel fill hose and clamp, installed new fuel pump/sending unit in new tank, replaced strap hardware and cleaned fuel lines out. Checked fuel reservoir and will replace o ring and reinstall now that I know there isn't a filter that goes in it... Pretty disappointed in my finding with the rear bumper removed. I know the truck had been repainted and one of my MAIN goals in looking for a truck while drivetrain and over all condition were at the top of the list I wanted an original paint with weathering. I thought I couldn't get luckier finding this one on my way home from work but wished it had been 2 tone and original. As I have removed both bumpers I find the truck was in fact originally silver and black 2 tone... What idiots to have sprayed over that.... Shame. Oh well cheers to the progress. On to another week with out of state meetings and no time in the schedule for the Bronco...
IMG_20210718_131724482_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210718_131716647.jpg
IMG_20210718_135854862.jpg
IMG_20210718_113931323_HDR.jpg

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
Frame looks pretty good!

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
@ecgreen body has some rot decent hole in front of the passenger rear wheel but surprisingly everything hardware wise has come off fairly easily. Except that stupid hitch....

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Pretty happy to have found these on Ebay for less than half the price of non OEM brands on Rockauto. I think it was $119 for the set shipped. Just received them and they're legit. Whole set new in the packages.

Rocker Arms.jpg

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Alright little update:

Sorry it has been so long since I have been on here, the truck is still here, the project still on going. I got held up drastically trying to get moved, house sold, closed etc... while all of that is still on going stuck out of town quite a bit with work. That being said I finally stuck some of the other (important life things) on the back burner this weekend and spent time with my neglected Bronco II. Engine is all but ready to go in, most of the brake lines have been replaced frame and engine bay got degreased and power washed. Also my girlfriend had been on the hunt for a project(still needed ac and all working) Bronco or Blazer as a weekend toy, I found a 1 owner 89 full-size fully loaded with 120K miles while going hiking one morning at day break for sale 20 minutes from my house. She lucked out and picked that up too!

Side note I have a few questions regarding timing and valve adjustment will try to find the correct forum to post those to specifically but will also add here in case anyone following the build can chime in! Thanks all!!

Question #1:
Timing, I set #1 to TDC and timed w/ indicator, then installed distributor and pointed button directly to #1 plug should be ok for base correct?

Question #2:
Valve adjustment, used the NOS valves I purchased and installed new pushrods. All adjustment nuts were slightly different from the package. I backed each off w/ the corresponding piston @ TDC compression until I had significant lash, then tightened until no lash was present then preset lifter 1 1/2 turns past no lash. To be redundant I wanted to verify they were all "close" and of course they were not.... Adjustment nut height off the cast rockers was anywhere from .300-480". Is this okay? Am I over thinking this? Not much experience w/ hydraulic lifers..

Also anyone have an oil pressure gauge and indicator switch hooked up? Wondering what the setups are off of the pressure port on the lower left of the engine.

The brake lines are from ClasssicTube and I will have to call today as I waited about 3 months for them to come in and less than half were correct, love when you spend good money on quality stuff and still get screwed, lets hope they manage the issue professionally.

Also forgot to mention a good friend remembered I was looking for some ORIGINAL wagons and had taken these vintage stock ones off his 79 Powerwagon and let me HAVE them! Just need to find a 5th now..

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Good to see you haven't given up... I stopped in at this thread a couple days ago to see what I had missed. I missed nothing... lol

We will require pictures of the girlfriends new ride btw... it's the right thing to do.

TDC and point the rotor to the number one spark plug on the cap. Correct... if you were at TDC on the compression stroke. If exhaust stoke... you will be 180 off.

Lifter adjustments... have been discussed at length here before. I have zero experience with it so I will leave the how to stuff to the folks that do. I will ask though... did you replace the push rods? Are they all the exact same length? Did you put your new rockers on a set of nice clean shafts?

Now that I own a 2.9L (which I hold you and your Bronco II fun and games partially responsible for) I will continue to follow what they have to say on the subject.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Awesome @Uncle Gump did not know you picked one up! What is it? And my apologies knew I meant to add another picture of something.

On the rockers.. I did not buy new shafts like a tight a$$ I did not think anything of it until I was reassembling.. I did check for gouging and wear and saw minimal. I soaked mine and cleaned residue and build up out of them and oiled and make sure flow through oil passages. New rods, and rockers. Did not compare all rod lengths, hind sight... well you know what the saying is..

And here it is

The inside is as clean as you'd think

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
WOW... that thing looks clean! The Bronco market is flipping crazy these days...

I bought one that was posted here in the classifieds. Lots of work had already been done. Enough that I kinda feel like I cheated myself from a bunch of rust in my eyes. It's on a truck headed here... can't wait.

BroncoII1.jpg

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Wow that is super clean. 6" Skyjacker and 33's? Are those Stone Crushers? Or old Eagle Alloys? Look like Stone Crushers

Congrats though!!!

I would have gone to that palm tree paradise and gotten it for you, although I may have never come back :)

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
That's exactly why I didn't ask you to go get for me!

Your guess is as good as mine with the wheels/tires... I didn't ask but now I probably will. Can't say I've ever seen them before.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
They are one of the two aforementioned. Either are a cool wheel I believe ProComp offered a version as well. Could have been those. But forged wheels like all the cool kids get now a days just a normal size. They are clean though for sure. I would Ceramic coat them if you plan to keep.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
They are... he said they were Eagle. They were bought in 2006... never driven down the road.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals