• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Bronco II cruise control vacuum routing

hoverfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone,

First-time Ford owner here. I picked up an 88 Bronco II XLT to use as a winter beater back in November. The guy who owned it before me was a "mechanic"... meaning there are a lot of things done on it recently, which were all half-assed. New brake shoes on badly worn drums, new hatch lift struts which are for a different vehicle and modified to (partly) work, and so on.

Anyway, he said the cruise control unit was leaking vacuum so he took it out and there was a replacement unit included with the truck. I figured out where it mounted and how the cable runs to the throttle body, but have no idea what the vacuum routing should be. The diagram under the hood makes no mention of a cruise unit, and no amount of Googling seems to help either. It looks like near the back of the intake plenum there's a vacuum line about the right size that's capped off, but I doubt that simply runs directly to the cruise servo... does it?

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
The vacuum line runs from the manifold and has a tee in it with a line running to the brake pedal dump valve.

hoverfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I finally got around to connecting it up last night. I connected a hose from the nipple at the rear of the intake to a tee, with one line running to the brake pedal valve and the other to the cruise unit. Started it this morning to go to work and it immediately revved and bounced off the rev limiter. Not having time to look at it I just yanked the hose off the intake and capped it. I guess next I'll try capping off the line to the cruise unit to eliminate the brake valve as the culprit and vice-versa.

hoverfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright, so I had a little time to have a look at it... as soon as I start the engine the cruise cable is pulled opening the throttle all the way. I don't imagine this is normal behavior.

So, I have a hose running from the manifold to a tee, one leg of the tee runs to the brake dump valve and the other to the nipple on the fitting on the front of the can. Is that anywhere near correct? This causes a vacuum leak under the dash when I press the brake pedal, and what connects to the other nipple on the can? I can see marks where there once was something there.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I remember precisely this behavior when I had the cruise vacuum lines hooked backwards on my old Bronco II. Don't have that anymore to compare to, but more or less the same system is installed on my '92 F150. If nobody's answered this sooner, I'll try to take a picture tonight to show you the correct connections.

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
That would be correct. I was thinking of the tee in the side as you see it from the front. If the tee was how I mentioned, it'd cause a vacuum leak when the brake was applied. It's hard to explain without seeing it. My excuse anyway.

hoverfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I connected everything correctly last night and tried it this morning... nothing. Back to the drawing board, I guess.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Check your local library. If they have a good reference section, you'll be able to find a Mitchell manual for domestic light trucks and vans for 1988 (or something close to it). There is a cruise control troubleshooting section specific to the vehicle that will have a logical sequence for testing each component so you can chase down exactly what's wrong.

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
You may de able to read about it on Autozones website. They have online repair manuals.

zekew64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4, rebuilt from a '91
Transmission
Manual
I know this is almost a year old, but here goes:

Basically, on the older Broncos and Rangers, the EGR system--if there is one--helps to control the cruise system. Hook up your vacuum connections per the diagram under the hood; this will take care of the EGR and fuel systems. After this, you'll have to hook up the one hose to the intake manifold. This will give vacuum to the inhibitor solenoid (a yellow combination electrical/vacuum solenoid), the accelerator solenoid (the immediate solenoid off of the vacuum tree that is red), as well as the vacuum reservoir (black, circular, round plastic thing; has two connections) and other electrical/hose connections. One hose goes to the inhibitor solenoid from the reservoir. The other connection goes to your brake pedal (auto) or your clutch pedal (manual/stick shift).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals