• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 bronco ii auto transmission problems

Chuckc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
1988 4x4 A4ld trans went out backing boat into driveway. Long story lots of metal and material in pan pulled the whole transmission and took apart replaced planetary gears bushing and clutch packs and seals. Put back together with a eBay bought rebuilt body of valves. Polished out reverse servo had scores on it. (Still may try the sleeve kit they sell.) cleaned and blew out trans cooler. And well I have reverse now but have to stomp on gas to get it to go. I have no park and truck only seems to drive in od or maybe stuck in first gear hard to tell but does not shift. Prob made a mistake by not changing torque converter but now flushed fluid twice since rebuild and here’s a pic of fluid. Can this metal and problems be coming from torque converter? Any suggestions? Running out of patience with this A4ld!!

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Yep, been there done that. All that junk that was in the old tranny was also in the old torque convertor. As soon as you started the rebuilt tranny, the pump instantly pumped all that metal filled oil from the torque convertor right into your rebuilt trans.

Chuckc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, been there done that. All that junk that was in the old tranny was also in the old torque convertor. As soon as you started the rebuilt tranny, the pump instantly pumped all that metal filled oil from the torque convertor right into your rebuilt trans.
Yeah those pics where from second batch of fluid that went in after rebuilt first was the same too.

Chuckc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
True just curious if a bad torque converter can cause metal like that looks like copper bushings mixed with some steel
Metal where it doesn't belong always spells disaster.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
True just curious if a bad torque converter can cause metal like that looks like copper bushings mixed with some steel
It can. Or it can be from the old trans, worked it's way into the old convertor, and then worked it's way back out into the rebuilt trans.

A long time ago I had a 65 mustang. Talk about being a newbie. I thought those things sticking out the side of the c4 were drain plugs. Wrong, they were the band adjustments. It was slipping badly after that.

So a guy I knew had a good used c4. Got it cheap, got a neighbor to help me put it in place, it ran ok but I could not see out of the rearview mirror, something was out of balance. Looked the torque convertor over, I could see a spot welded place with nothing there, I think a balance weight must have come off.

So I go get the old torque convertor from the old transmission, and swap it in myself. I got two long all-thread rods, screwed them in either side, and dropped it down and slid it back on the rods enough to take the torque convertor out. Put it back in, patting myself on the back, went to start it and the starter sounded terrible, but it started. I got under it while it was running without the inspection plate on it, it was wobbling around like crazy. I had bolted the torque convertor back in place without making sure the drain plug for the convertor was in the hole in the flexplate. I said I was a newbie didn't I?

Well the vibration was gone, seemed to shift fine, except reverse hesitated and made a buzzing noise. It got worse and worse.

So I found another used c4 to swap in. Took it down to my Dad's and he helped me put it in. I hadn't learned my lesson yet, and used the old torque convertor again. But when we went to bolt it up it lacked about 3/4 inch mating up to the 302. My Dad with a little more experience said we need to reverse course, something is not right. That is when we pulled it all back apart, and he looked down in the convertor and saw a mysterious washer floating around in the torque convertor, sort of chewed up. So I need a new torque convertor.

Go down to a shop local to my Dad's place, there is a old guy who had been working on these trannys for years. I told him the problem and he asked what year trans I had bought, I told him a 1973. He said Ford had changed the pump driveshaft size, and that was the reason I would not go in all the way. He even showed me the two different shafts, you could hardly tell the difference. He sold me the correct rebuilt convertor.

Put it all together again (by now I am a expert and taking this thing out and putting it in place) and everything is working, and has been working for 30 years, I still have the car with that tranny in it.

So yes, the torque convertor can go bad inside and mess things up.

Chuckc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
Oh the joys of life lol thanks for the input! Planning on dropping the trans again putting new converter and possibly taking apart trans again.. and making sure nothing looks chewed up. If theirs any other recommendations to do or look at wile everything’s apart i would like to know! By the way I torqued band screws to spec via the manual and locked the nut

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals