• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Bronco 2 Pre-build Check

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I too would say keep the 2.9L if it's running well.

Mine has probably in the neighborhood of 340K miles on it (a guesstimate since I had the speedometer disconnected for a few years, and also tallying all the driving in low range I do that doesn't accrue the miles on the ODO as quickly as street driving does). I bought it with 140K back in 2004. It's one & only issue is a bit of light oil seepage around the valve cover gaskets (mostly noticeable only if it's been parked for a week or longer). It doesn't burn any oil, still handily passes state emissions testing too.

Yeah it's certainly no powerhouse, but with the right gears for your tires, it's adequate enough to maintain speed on most highway grades with a downshift to 4th (I run 35" tires with 5.13:1 gears... 4.88:1 would be right about the same with 33" tires).

I would suggest a crawl box (a.k.a. 'dual t-case' or 'doubler') rather than convert to an automatic trans. A crawl box should solve the stalling issue you mention, and should make for more graceful decents down the other side of huge rocks or steep downhills since you won't need to stand on the brake as much as you would with an automatic. As said, the A4LD auto has it's issues, it's tendency to run hot probably the most significant (external coolers do help a lot, but occasionally it still seems like you can't have enough coolers sometimes).

Also, I would suggest keep your lift short and trim the fenders for tire clearance if needed (more than 6" total lift is asking for a rollover). My suggestion would be 3-4 inches in the suspension, 1-2 inch bodylift. More than 4" in the suspension, and your steering linkage angle starts becoming unmanageable.

Hope that helps.

That's a nice lookin' truck too, BTW. :cool:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
nice rig.

for your proposed mods... not an easy call for powertrain.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
I'll keep my response short as everyone has chimed in in great detail and no need to beat dead horses. I have done hundreds of lift kits. I chose Duff 3" system for mine and if I could have 10 minutes into the install/experience I would have sent it back and gotten the 4" Skyjacker. Absolutely horrible experience but all that can be seen in my thread. Good luck! Jealous of those wheeling opportunities out in Colorado!

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
One other thing to note, I chose the down the truck option and do everything at once... Can't say I recommend but up to you. If you can wheel I would make changes and be back up try it out then make more.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals