• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 b2 98 explorer 4.0 swap.

ranger480

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
3.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everybody. Just a question about anti theft.
I have a 1998 ford explorer for parts. It came from a friend that owns a tow company. It was a impounded vehicle with a busted ignition. I wanted to convert a 88 b2 with the drive train from this explorer. The explorer won't run because the anti theft system and junk ignition.
Anyone have a idea to get around this.
I found a complete explorer colum with keys thinking about swapping.
I would like to use everything from the explorer dash and all kind of like a restomod.
I understand the project just looking for answers on anti theft
Thanks

Beachbuggy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Anti-theft runs out of the ECU, there's no way to "bypass" it. You might be able to get an ECU from a non-theft model (earlier) and get it to run. I've done it once on a ranger but it was years ago. Good luck!

tn76bronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
It can be done, the PATS can be removed along with all the EVAP, down stream O2 sensors, and tranny if you so desire. I installed a complete 2000 Explorer 5.0 using the Explorer setup in my 76 Bronco. The only thing you really need is the engine, engine harness, the engine sensors, front O2's and I like to run the in tank fuel pump to keep it all OEM. This will make it better if this model is returnless fuel system, I'm not sure on the 4.0's if/when they went to a returnless system, it makes it easier to find parts for it but that is up to you. You will need to find someone who can remove these from the PCM. Here is the guy to contact to do just that, he will hook you up and is very good to work with, he goes by "EFI Guy" on Classic Bronco. I have his # if you want to PM me

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224697

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals