• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 2.9L Fuel Issues PLEASE HELP! Scratching head on this one!

larams2380

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pumps running constantly so believe returning to tank. Pressue at Schrader valve. No gas at upper intake or vacuum lines for FPR. FPR has fuel. Cranks hard and will not start. Carb cleaner sprayed into intake and cranked better but no start. Checked FPR O ring and replaced. If fuel pumps running i would think relay good? Can't figure this one out! Any help is appreciated!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If it's firing on ether/carb cleaner then you have a fuel delivery issue, and I would check to see if your injectors are working. You can pull the electrical plug off of one of them and jumper the two wires with a test light, then crank the engine over. If it flashes then you have power to the injector, if not I would start troubleshooting that circuit. I would also take a fuel pressure reading... the pumps can be working and supplying fuel but not enough fuel for the injectors to open.

Fuel pump should not run constantly in any case, when you turn the key from Off to Run (but not Start) they should run for a second or two to pressurize the fuel system and then shut off.

larams2380

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thank you very much Shran! Getting dressed to go test that now! It does not start on carb cleaner (but think I am not spraying enough in) but the cranking sounds much better without it. Like it wants to start but doesnt.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Fuel pump should only run for 2 seconds, when key is first turned on, its a safety thing

So pull out computer and check if there is any issue on the circuit board, there are 2 or 3 barrel type capacitors that can leak or corrode after 20+ years
Can be replaced, under $5 fix

One of the symptoms of failed capacitors is no start and fuel pump on all the time

larams2380

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual

Fuel pump should only run for 2 seconds, when key is first turned on, its a safety thing

So pull out computer and check if there is any issue on the circuit board, there are 2 or 3 barrel type capacitors that can leak or corrode after 20+ years

One of the symptoms of failed capacitors is no start and fuel pump on all the time
Thank you RonD! Can you guide me to rough location?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Behind the passenger side kick panel - under and to the right of the glove box.

larams2380

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Checked capacitors and board looks extremely clean like someone has been in there recently. Noticed ground wire was rusted so cleaned that up but to no avail. Checked on fuel injector for power. Check. onto the other two. If those check out would you all suspect high pressure fuel pump?

larams2380

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If it's firing on ether/carb cleaner then you have a fuel delivery issue, and I would check to see if your injectors are working. You can pull the electrical plug off of one of them and jumper the two wires with a test light, then crank the engine over. If it flashes then you have power to the injector, if not I would start troubleshooting that circuit. I would also take a fuel pressure reading... the pumps can be working and supplying fuel but not enough fuel for the injectors to open.

Fuel pump should not run constantly in any case, when you turn the key from Off to Run (but not Start) they should run for a second or two to pressurize the fuel system and then shut off.
Shran all fuel injectors have power. Circuit board looks good. Would you suspect the high pressure fuel pump? I have no pressure guage to test for PSI....

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Shran all fuel injectors have power. Circuit board looks good. Would you suspect the high pressure fuel pump? I have no pressure guage to test for PSI....
I would not suspect anything unless you have a way to test it. You can often rent test tools like that from AutoZone/O'Reilly or they are cheap at Harbor Freight.

Is this a new issue/was the vehicle running fine previously? More history on the vehicle would be helpful. New purchase?/have you had it a while? any other repairs done recently?

Failed capacitors often have a bulged top and/or bottom and a small amount of liquid leaking from them (may be dried and look like a crusty puddle) but not always. These circuit boards are sprayed with a waterproofing substance so it may not be obvious that there is an issue.

larams2380

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I would not suspect anything unless you have a way to test it. You can often rent test tools like that from AutoZone/O'Reilly or they are cheap at Harbor Freight.

Is this a new issue/was the vehicle running fine previously? More history on the vehicle would be helpful. New purchase?/have you had it a while? any other repairs done recently?
I cleaned the left bank rocker arm shaft to try and get rid of the explosive ticking it had. One dry pushrod and rocker arm shaft. Put it all back together and this is where I am at. Was running fine but sat for about two months before I tore into it. Started it up and put in shop where it has been for over a month. New truck to me. Will get a guage and go from there. Thank you!

larams2380

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual

RonD capacitors look good but will heed Shran's advice to recheck them. any other ideas? everything else checks out. Maybe fuel filter? as I told Shran going to get a fuel pressure tester and hook that up to see what happens.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I would also try pulling a spark plug and cranking the engine...see if you have spark... did you remove the distributor? Sure that the plug wires are installed in the correct order? ALL of the wiring connectors are hooked up and back in their proper places? No fuses blown?

In my mind, if it was running before you took it apart, there is a good chance that you didn't get something back together correctly and/or wiring is disconnected. No offense intended towards your work, just seems like the most likely scenario as opposed to "ran fine yesterday and just quit today out of the blue" if you know what I mean. Things like this happen to me a lot.

larams2380

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I would also try pulling a spark plug and cranking the engine...see if you have spark... did you remove the distributor? Sure that the plug wires are installed in the correct order? ALL of the wiring connectors are hooked up and back in their proper places? No fuses blown?

In my mind, if it was running before you took it apart, there is a good chance that you didn't get something back together correctly and/or wiring is disconnected. No offense intended towards your work, just seems like the most likely scenario as opposed to "ran fine yesterday and just quit today out of the blue" if you know what I mean. Things like this happen to me a lot.
Shran I do have spark, checked the firing order and all good. I thought that as well that I am missing some connection somewhere and have looked and looked. Aside from tearing the plenum back off and starting over I have no idea but will keep at it!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pull the fuel pump fuse or relay
Crank engine over a few times with throttle wide open, to dry it out if flooded

Now spray ether, gasoline, carb cleaner, ect...........into the intake and see if it fires up
If it now fires up then engine was flooding out, too much fuel from injectors

If it doesn't fire then you don't have enough spark or its not at the right time
OR
You don't have compression above 100psi in all cylinders, not a few, all, should be 150psi

Don't over think it, its just a gas engine
Spark, at the right time
Gasoline, mixed with air
Compression, above 100psi
That's what, and all, that is needed

"They" can add sensors and computers and other Glamour things, but its still just a gasoline engine mechanically
So don't over think it, or you will end up chasing your tail

larams2380

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Pull the fuel pump fuse or relay
Crank engine over a few times with throttle wide open, to dry it out if flooded

Now spray ether, gasoline, carb cleaner, ect...........into the intake and see if it fires up
If it now fires up then engine was flooding out, too much fuel from injectors

If it doesn't fire then you don't have enough spark or its not at the right time
OR
You don't have compression above 100psi in all cylinders, not a few, all, should be 150psi

Don't over think it, its just a gas engine
Spark, at the right time
Gasoline, mixed with air
Compression, above 100psi
That's what, and all, that is needed

"They" can add sensors and computers and other Glamour things, but its still just a gasoline engine mechanically
So don't over think it, or you will end up chasing your tail
RonD thank you for this info. You are right. I tend to overthink it then spend countless hours testing the same things....I want to get this done with only me fixing it. But of course with everyone's gracious help on this forum!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals