• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 2.9 5 spd questions

milkie62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone, I am looking into buying a 1988 2.9 5spd 4wd ranger pickup. Frame is extremely clean for the age. A little bit of sanding and it should be ready for paint. I know the guy selling it. He brought it from down south. Said he thinks the head is bad. (cracked). Wants $1500 for it with 150k miles. For the cosmetics on it for my area I am willing to sink another $1500 into to make it a daily runner for hunting,fishing & trapping to keep the miles off of my 2019 1 ton. I would be planning on taking bed off and do brakes,brake lines, sand and paint frame and any engine work necessary. More of a retirement project vehicle. What could I expect to spend on engine work with me doing the take apart and putting back together ? BTW this is the best vehicle I have seen for lack of rust in my area which is important. NE saltbelt. Thanks in advance, Ed

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello Milkie (you live on a farm? or a space traveler? ;) ) Welcome to TRS :)
I once got an 87 for free, due to massive rust conditions, but it had an almost new engine in it, almost flip side of your equation. This was roughly 2000/2002. Getting it road worthy cost me about 1500, which was at that time about what I would have paid for it(or figured it was worth) Wish I had kept that truck, but after acquiring a 93 Ranger I let it go for $350(from where it possibly went straight to the scrapyard :/

Things have also changed a bit since then, you'll rarely find as many Rangers at the PicNpay as Explorers since they are much more coveted these days. They also command higher prices.

As long as your estimates are anywhere near accurate, and you run in to no unseen/unexpected serious disappointments, and are able to absorb the loss if worse case scenario developed, I hardly see how you could go wrong :)

Also you'll find some very fine 2.9 experts here on TRS

Last edited:

milkie62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well I have a 2019 1 ton that I ordered. Loaded it up pretty good. Just do not want the fish,blood & coyote smells in it. I am hoping I can do the engine for around $1k. New nuts & bolts,brake lines,brakes all the way around,POR 15 the frame, and a camo wrap on the body. Home done Rhino liner paint. I do not mind sinking some money into it because then basically a percentage of it will be new. But the no rust is the big deal up where I live.

milkie62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Plus I like that square front end look.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Please note that last line I edited in there also ED :)

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Mine is.same vintage, didn't have bad heads, though.

J&c enterprises in wv carries fully dressed aftermarket heads. If you replacebone, replace both. You wont regret it.

Gasket match with a die grinder while you're in there. You wont regret that, either.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
If you do all the work heads would be about $600 from Rock Auto. Course you would need gaskets too. If the truck has been sitting quite a while you'd better off doing a tear down of the engine and replacing every gasket and seal, every sensor, etc...I got a cheap 87 Ranger that I am currently dealing with the aftermath of it sitting for 4 years. As a result seals, gaskets, sensors, etc. are all failing and having to be replaced....so I'd plan on a few thousand dollars in parts and several weeks or months worth of tearing things apart and replacing gaskets, seals, sensors, fuel lines, fuel filter, etc.

1986RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I got a cheap 87 Ranger that I am currently dealing with the aftermath of it sitting for 4 years. As a result seals, gaskets, sensors, etc. are all failing and having to be replaced..
Couldn't agree more. I'm in same situation but mine sat for ten years. Especially once it started getting cold here, so many problems that it did not have when it was warm.

If the truck has been well-maintained the job should be simple enough. Problem is even if you know the guy some people just have no idea what is going on with their vehicle. Parts for these trucks are fairly cheap, but it can take months chasing issues (especially on a budget) if the truck was poorly maintained

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Couldn't agree more. I'm in same situation but mine sat for ten years. Especially once it started getting cold here, so many problems that it did not have when it was warm.

If the truck has been well-maintained the job should be simple enough. Problem is even if you know the guy some people just have no idea what is going on with their vehicle. Parts for these trucks are fairly cheap, but it can take months chasing issues (especially on a budget) if the truck was poorly maintained
I'm mostly chasing some minor engine issues right now, I think I've narrowed it down to possibly a bad EGR valve, if that isn't it, its the ECM...everything else has been either replaced, or confirmed good...so I'm left with those 2 possibilities right now.

About 4 years ago I picked up an 88 Ford Bronco 2 which at least the seller was open about the transmission needing replaced or rebuilt as overdrive was gone in it, but it didn't stop there, it leaked oil really bad, engine was burning oil and ultimately led to a rebuilt transmission and a re-manufactured engine LOL. I don't think the 87 Ranger is nearly as bad, it runs and drives great just intermittent power loss while accelerating, so I'm thinking the EGR valve is sticking. We shall see soon though, hopefully tomorrow, if the weather cooperates.

milkie62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The guy has driven it recently. Do not know why he thinks head is cracked. He is not much of a mechanic. He will let me do a complete look over before I buy,if I even buy. But it does look pretty good for the age and like I said it will either get a flat olive drab/military looking paint with maybe a bottom realtree wrap. Body is straight but it is too cold to really look at it now and its not going anywhere.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would suggest first confirming it's even a head, what makes him think so, and what is the evidence. It could be a gamble or maybe not

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The guy has driven it recently. Do not know why he thinks head is cracked. He is not much of a mechanic. He will let me do a complete look over before I buy,if I even buy. But it does look pretty good for the age and like I said it will either get a flat olive drab/military looking paint with maybe a bottom realtree wrap. Body is straight but it is too cold to really look at it now and its not going anywhere.
Truthfully you would pry be cheaper and further aheah if it is a bad head to find a whole 2.9 and drop in.

A good used 2.9 can usually be had for 5 or 600 bucks. I say this because if it does have a cracked head, and its been ran a decent amount with coolant getting pumped into the oil, then chances are the bottom end is going to be on borrowed time.

milkie62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Truthfully you would pry be cheaper and further aheah if it is a bad head to find a whole 2.9 and drop in.

A good used 2.9 can usually be had for 5 or 600 bucks. I say this because if it does have a cracked head, and its been ran a decent amount with coolant getting pumped into the oil, then chances are the bottom end is going to be on borrowed time.
I would have to agree with you on that. This week will be warm and snow is gone. May have a good look at it.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I swapped the heads on my 2.9 in my 86 ranger. I bought the heads that were mentioned on ebay. I remember them coming from West Va somewhere.

I went ahead and pulled the engine, I was having freeze plug rusting/leaking problems also. Glad I did, there is a freeze plug on the back of the engine hidden behind the bellhousing, and it was seeping. I checked the bores out on the cylinders, they were perfect. This engine didn't use any oil, even though it leaked here and there, another reason to pull it.

When I pulled it to work on the freeze plug problem I was using brake cleaner to clean the original heads up. On one of the heads, I kept getting this strange black line come up in the casting in a flat area under the valve cover area on top of the head. I could spray it off and it would go away, and a little bit later it would come back, Looked like a crack to me, so I bought the new heads on ebay. I will warn you, when you pull the exhaust manifolds off the heads, I had every last one of the bolts break off on both heads.

milkie62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What did cousin Eddy say on Independence day ????? I'm back... Well anyway my daily driver car's frame rotted out and the pass wheel almost fell off. I have been too busy to go look at that Ranger till now. So sometime tomorrow I will be taking a ride over to look at it and hoping to get it for a grand. If it checks out being what the undercarriage looked like IMO it will be well worth fixing up. I had an '89 Bronco II with same engine with 3.73 gears and it ran great and got in the low 20's for mpg even with the auto hubs. So I will be crossing my fingers that this truck will be a nice retirement project. I retire in March. Until then I will be driving a mini-van for my daily driver to keep miles off my 2019 1 ton. I will report back on how I make out. A question though. Does anybody know what kind of axle gearing these had ? And what was the tranny gearing on the 5 spd ? I may bring a jack to check axle gearing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals