• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 std/std 302 conversion, ethanol, thread starter

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
After a number of discombobulations, direction changes, mistakes- I have finally arrived at the point where significant work will be started on my 1987 std cab/bed Ranger.
I found a 51,000 mile 2001 Exp engine on a shelf, from 2005 dated wreck, immaculate. I have procured that engine, an M5R2 with 80k miles from a similar fate and storage length, front end and fuel system rebuild, a TL 8.8 explorer disc rear, TL rebuild kit, an 87 clutch pedal assembly (truck is auto as built), microsquirt for ignition handling, Holley contender DP manifold.

The truck has a two piece front end now thanks to BobbyWalters insight.
My intention initially was to have a family hot rod but I said to heck with family since my adult sons have all abandoned me for the most part to proceed with their own lives. My wife won’t drive it but once. So creature comforts are being removed as early as this weekend. The whole dash is leaving. Replacement will be aluminum thin sheet fabricated leaving my tall body lots of room. Gauges and switches, that’s it. A JBL flip 4 will provide tunes but not likely over a B303 lope on flow master delta 40s with turn downs.

My wife fell in love with the bench seat and blue interior. Gone!
Two race seats will be procured at some point. The new key is weight reduction. ET reduction by weight control, not HP.

I will be selling the turbo previously acquired. Turbo just won’t fit simply enough, cost of header fab is exorbitant. I gave up. Rather, last week I picked up a Paxton Novi1200SL kit for 05-06 Mustang 4.6 and will cannibalize if. Blower has 6000 miles on it!!! There is a story behind the blower. I paid very little for it, about what a set of headers would cost for the turbo application. It supports 775 HP as trimmed and that is far in excess of my target.

The GT40P heads stay, new springs will be installed. Cast manifolds will remain for early service unless budget improves.

This truck will be limited to 450hp, period. It will run initially E85 via ATM Innovations 650 billet carb. Angela Neely (ATM) has committed to update fuel when the truck moves to Hydros Ethanol (E98 for short).

Bumpers will be aluminum thin wall tube to satisfy legal demands. Painted black they will increase weight reduction.
Spare tire frame goes this weekend.

The plan-

Cam/valve spring updated only 2001 Windsor. If budget permits maybe pedestal rocker upgrade and push rods.
Oil pump shaft update.
SFI balancer.
Explorer driver FEAD will be band sawed to allow the upper section to be welded to the Paxton/Vortech mount plate. The stock Paxton idler moved on plate to facilitate ONLY alternator (stock position), idler, Paxton). A tensioner will be added to the plate as well (stock fomoco). The passenger fead removed and two aluminum billets machined to make the “three hole” base for alternator.
So FEAD- gone.

Meziere external water pump with fittings and plate installed to free up center of engine.
A Volvo EPAS was procured and will live in back corner of bed, battery located at opposite corner.
New stock fuel tank in hand, POR 15 treatment forthcoming to better protect from E85. Later the spare tire region will have a fuel cell installed. At that point the rear end will be narrowed, a four link installed. Budget and parts acquired prior to the plan change to “pure go fast” mode are forcing me to make the rear end and fuel system mods later.
I intend to procure a Jericho DR4 to serve shifting needs.
For now the low mile M5R2 will be the weakest link and the truck will be preserved while it is in service.

advertisement: if someone finds a DR4 trans, any gear set, for sale at a GREAT price, please keep me in mind. The transmission is critical for the truck but….. as new is also wicked expensive by the time an SFI housing is procured, and the balance of clutch and shifter. Very much worth it though.

Trans tunnel will be cut this month, out completely. I have to fab a way to make it removable, serviceable, as I won’t fight bellhousing bolts.

Ala BobbyWalters, radiator will be mounted on the frame as the core support has been deleted. Firewall to be patched for both some cancer remediation (the only spot is the heater box region) and for heater/AC delete.

I considered a MII front end and I am poor so not happening. Plus I think it’s actually heavier with the thick crossmember.

I have a pile of suspension parts here from RA to restore the entire front end.

TheATM carb will be fed by a Walbro 255, aeromotiveA1000 regulator, boost ref.I have Russell alum fuel lines to run in tandem.

Yes aluminum lines with ethanol.
There are a few things that remain like whee fitment, tires, etc.

Ultimately the target is sub 2500 lbs with drive and 450hp.
Power is easily achieved. Staying below block split area but a dead hook at that power will likely be the end of the engine anyway.

I like straight cut gear whine, blower howl, boogedy-boogedy of the B303 (unmatched IMHO with Flow Master 40s and turn downs).

The combination will satisfy my need for manual trans, full power shifts,noise,!power, ET, modest street ability, and the specialized home brew fuel consumption.

A year ago a single E85 station opened in Memphis. Prior it was a trip to Mississippi to get fuel. So E85 was out and that’s what drove me to E98 on “alcohol fuel plant permit”. Now- E85 will be a tuning step and next year my fuel making activities should be in full swing. Allowing careful migration to E98, at a buck a galllon.

I have some folks behind the plan- the worlds largest privately held company (a food company, nameless at this point, that is a client of mine) has tentatively committed to 10,000 lbs of free waste sugar for my use. That makes more azeotrope than one car can use. A big part of this Frankenstein project is raising awareness of alternative feedstock ethanol production, sorghum crops, “corn is bad”, and E98 racing fuel service. It’s a billboard I am trying to form. There are other entities tied to the vehicle, not financially, but that have fed me tech/data/support.

Anyone in a rural area below the salt line with an acre of property can raise and harvest sweet sorghum and produce azeotropic ethanol for fuel. It is my intention to both provide the distillation system, the legal/statutory path, the expertise on crop/fuel/process and offer a vehicle that proves hydros ethanol merit.

And dead hook at some point, pull a wheelie, stay in it and get it on video. So an altruistic path to wheelie glory without a Chevrolet being involved, a proper race car, and lots and lots of money.
I am not a tree hugger or a whale saver, on the contrary. But along the way I have figured out corn sucks, sweet sorghum is four times more awesome and if I could run every car on ethanol, affordable and practically- I would.

Ethanol part might fail- car will perform for sure.

Stabbing the engine for dry fit this month. God willing.

Pictures forthcoming - new thread started. See ya

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I won'y pretend to understand half of what you're talking about. I understood that you want to produce and run on alternative fuels. I understand corn bad, sweet sorghum good. Agree with you on that for the little bit I understand about it.

I definitely understand your goals, hope the backing works out, and you find success. Not something I'm likely to attempt, but still interested in reading about your progress, so keep us posted.

I will be selling the turbo previously acquired. Turbo just won’t fit simply enough, cost of header fab is exorbitant. I gave up.
Was this turbo for the V8, or for the previous 2.3L plans? I'm going to be looking to turbo the 2.3L in my 85 down the road. So, if its stuff for the 2.3L, I might be interested.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Dude, hell yeah.

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Negative.
Low mileage Power Stoke turbo (IHI) for 7.3 diesel. Had intended to use similar to Roadkill and the Rotsun 5.0.
Not optimal for little engines. My low boost pressure demand made it very suitable and extremely cheap to obtain.

All was well until I really started to examine engine bay with the turbo in hand.
Like a watermelon in a baseball cap.

A Saab turbo would suit you better, size, pressure, flow map, HP output…. And equally cheap.

Last edited:

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Anybody with real world experience on setting engine height rather high for better weight transfer characteristics? If I can keep the hood stock so be it. But I expect to have a rounded bump in it for a carb hat, if I am to mount it high.

The question is “how high”.

Since the engine must be relatively level for floats to operate well, there is a height limit (as well as aesthetics, functionality, etc).
But I need serious weight to transfer.

I researched the math behind firewall relocation but the 2 inches rearward I could probably go just isn’t enough weight shift to merit the expense of time and money.
UP is a different story.

Anybody have any insight? I’ve read a bit of Jerry Bickel input but it’s pretty limited.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals