• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 std cab/bed no lift, fuel line best location with 4R70 and a electric fan recommendation

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So I was going to carb an otherwise good running EFI 97 5.0 for my conversion with uSquirt for spark and TCU.
The MSEXTRA forum has explained that not only will I have to spend more money on a MAP (cheap) but almost MUST add a TPS.
The CARB is WAAAY more expensive than the "free"Ford EFI so screw it, Ill stay EFI.

I had invested in a 750 DP Holley (used) and DP manifold (both very cheap) with the premise that a new stock fuel tank and stock lift pump (10 psi) with 3/8 aluminum line (single) was going to be cheap. Intended to run a Duraspark or the like. Well then uSquirt cam along as the TCU and then I decided why not spark with a uSq.

It just kept changing to save money by going uSq but then the carb TPS is almost $200 (unless I machine a part to adapt a junkyard TPS and time is wasting here..... Id rather not reinvent the wheel.

So..... I will be running two Russell 3/8 lines to tank rather than one, Ill modify the new low pressure pump assembly to fit an 89-97 Ranger "Carter" Fuel pump (high pressure) and just kep the Ford EFI. Rather than spend another $600 in stuff..... Ill spend $40 for the pump and another $50 in fittings.

The question is: Fuel lines in current OE position are on frame rail just about all the way to the engine bay.
I will have cast OE log for exhaust on this truck (not the turbo intended truck, two projects moving at once) and this weekend I found stainless steel lines "above" my spons 2011 Ranger transmission. They move from frame rail and rotate above the trans, suspended from a small clip at tailshaft.

Not having fitted the trans and knowing the tarns (4R70) is large relative to space, wher is the COOLEST place to successfully run a pair of lines???
Looking for a general direction. I know they will run the frame to maybe the OE filter location (where I intend to install a filter) but if I keep it in the frame, it seems that it will be awful close to an already very tight downpipe and then a cast log.

Might there be enough room for the lines to emerge where they do on both the Explorer and Ranger, center above the transmission, and avoid the heat??
While everything is OUT (drivetrain), Id like to run the fuel line and terminate and not beat my head and hands against an engine and trans on my back!

As for teh fan recommendation, I need to order a radiator

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/254984713653?fits=Model:Ranger&_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item3b5e45f5b5:g:I0YAAOSwp-FglKla&amdata=enc:AQAGAAACoPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSg3Ye8yTWgOW7pmE1t838dgcI%2BBAtUve%2BEG3V9BdUw6BXMLYtSC7n8XZAZeUDfDc8Y96nGYqg%2FFY9pQI4b7mPF7XRmTir5Rqa0KmeIAieRykN4%2BxJtvFy78rVIp7fCHiheg6SCq5zRuZ6fBB72VECKjfK7kpb3jCeEQpS2a7bd7TRcu%2Fn8zhs%2Fnhzflg6jqLC%2FWupGuD48XwIMmKn8DSZVBqVRqlJ%2Bv%2Fy7wYpzGh%2FdhdjnORvwyR4gwZXI44MYc2CNvq223uzNnQLV74t91NYntYjq9J8Qzxs4a9CvDwBG5ADNVyMuvZhdsLTwtdNHbh5Sco2F372GUkVzrEVwa135ZOiQyDbHlDQ8EdpnEL8QasYw8s7JiwzeWi7wD7MJVhbiwMf79nLaHMSncZxT68cuZ8Y9kQLc3ilJ4DA2CxAcbMvPv4z26lyiuK4fzmqM2XruSqeFASUseO0K2xoqfjkHT%2B%2FKH%2BP9NltynzhWA4SQJ5xevFa6aEBXspaAUlAuRgrwNpTAEFMxiD14ArAKADpoNUcLdrqu7blppa7mrrvez0I2Z%2By9gwFE4%2FPRtX6M6ivasif5Z3wWrob3lOgKRifbeCz0JzUuhOa290tidi3Y%2B8wzy4YH09l8UsUN%2BdS12W7sZY1aQ7nYOc84EpJKluku63fKUHKoiPzM0YgjyoTpI%2F%2Fw8u088qxzvtcOySOQ6xHKVT26ihrEqZliKO3ThPlbu07JT2GgJ0J9yLgaTBNTpRBr6mQGxdY94QpGEtOQd8qPkx%2FNgY7SL9winuR%2F4PV5uW6N3WvziFHlQ%2FDp8gdvcYdYf0YD4R46%2Bh3ZNMNJisjDs5cgWg3zdf38rO%2BcaHB6A%3D%3D|clp:2334524|tkp:BFBM7NXbgc1f)

If anyone else has used this radiator successfully please let me know and also if with an electic fan, maybe what you have had good succes with.

As always, thanks in advance.

My garage is now empty, no more "Frankentruck" having surgery to make it run nor family cars to fix..... the project truck has a home for the next 3 mo to get stuffed with goodness starting tonight. So I am hot and bothered to get the final parts here.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Radiator is interesting 🤔....

You can use the 150 truck lines. I have many times.

There's versions that come up the trans tunnel

Vans have some good setups too.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I didn’t know Rangers came with factory electric fans until today. I noticed one for sale on Craigslist and went looking for part numbers.

Motorcraft RF214 is the OEM auto trans electric fan for the 2001 2.3l.
Has integral shroud etc.

is that a fan that could do the job on a bookoo aftermarket radiator made for the ranger?

I like the junkyard and I like OEM stuff that works rather than aftermarket.

I have read in a few places that guys have gone w/I a fan for a while on higher performance radiators with 302w and not gotten warm (not suggesting that I do) which leads me to believe I f the radiator alone will do 90% then a modest fan should easily put it over the top for required cooling. I’m not towing!….. or the like.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Use. Intended goals define requirement.

The oem ranger configuration is not ideal to cool a working v8. Especially the gen 1.

I prefer to open up the core support, and run a 19 x 25 summit style radiator fitted to the chassis and make the front inner structure removable. This allows the radiator to be moved well forward to fit whatever fans you like allong with older style accessory drives...

I have a massive radiator so I use the intech v8 fans to cool my diesel as they fit well

I tended to use the Taurus style fans with the gas engines and 25x19 setup. ..

But I expiremented with many systems.

You can choose to fit the maximum cooling system possible....or you can try to fit a cooling system that hopefully works within the stock architecture.

The 5.0 explorer core support has a bit more flow area, and for a bolt in, that system can be fitted to your situation.

Whether or not it works is situation specific. 500 hp and 250 hp....and driving style make for variation of needs.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The Volvo fan that is described in the tech section of the forum works just fine, and the 2 speed Taurus fan from the early 90s moves even more air so that would also be a good choice.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
The crown Vic ...mustangs ...jeeps....Windstar....escape ..

Any oem fan including the ranger fan asked about is better then any junk at the parts store. Hayden fans are garbage

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals