• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 spindle dust shield

87RangerXLTct

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In the process of doing ball joints on my 87 and the spindle dust shield is completely mangled and rotted. Is this a critical part? It seems like the part is discontinued and there is no wrecking yards near me that have anything older than 2000. Also anyone know of anywhere to get brake rotor dust shields? 1987 ranger 4x4 with the Dana 28 I think.32B6943E-189E-46CD-A78A-25553CC68426.jpeg

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I forgot to put the brake rotor dust shields on my f250 after I did a similar job, and told myself no way am I going to tear that apart again to install them. 10+ years later I have had no problems not having the shields on there. I cant picture where the smaller shield you asked about goes.

87RangerXLTct

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok cool good to know, it goes between the spindle and steering knuckle.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Ok cool good to know, it goes between the spindle and steering knuckle.
It must be there to keep minor grease leaks from the wheel bearing seal from being slung up on the brake rotor surface.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It serves two purposes on the RBV, to keep the rotor and to keep stones out, plus, to cool them. They used to be called STONE shields for the reason. On my own Aerostar a stone got lodged between the pad and rotor, it made quite the sound. Not critical, but, nice to have on the vehicle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals