• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Ranger - What is this piece of trim called and where can I get a replacement?

fixessaxes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all,

First post here. Hopefully I am in the right section. I have a 1987 Ranger that is in remarkably good shape minus the headliner and these four pieces of metal trim that are above the doors (below the OS handles) and also run full length across the front and rear windows. They sort of look like they have a function beyond just aesthetics, but perhaps not. Two of them are completely rusted through, so I am looking for replacements if possible. I have googled a good bit but since I don't know what they are called I have not gotten far. Photo attached of the truck and the piece in question.

I have been working on it on and off (with help from my mechanic) for about a year and its a great truck. Replaced my 2001 B3000 with it. Under 100k miles, originally a California vehicle, one owner, the whole deal. I'd love to get these trim pieces and the headliner (and visors) fixed up as they are the last bits of the truck that don't look fantastic.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Junkyard only pieces. If the headliner is all there, you can pull it out, scrape the old foam off, use duct tape to repair any broken places, and then get a upholstery shop to glue new material to the shell. Years ago my local shop would charge me $75 for the material and to glue it in place. I tried the kits they used to sell in the store, but they would fall down after a month or so. The glue the shop uses is much better and comes out of their gun.

You can also go to Walmart or some other fabric shop and find a piece of vinyl and glue it in with 3M adhesive IF your headliner shell is cardboard, which most Fords are. The vinyl won't give you a original look but it still looks good when the job is done. I have had trouble with the glue a little bit on these as well, so put plenty of it on the cardboard and the material.

The trim pieces will be a junkyard item as well as the visors. You may find some visors from another Ford vehicle of the same era to fit also. Here are some rangers in North Carolina junkyards that may have something. This website www.car-part.com won't list little interior pieces like that, but if I put in a front fender, that will tell you that yard may have one sitting there that you could get the interior pieces you need off it. If you call them, you will get the "I don't know, you or we will have to go look". But they probably won't charge you much either.

Fender
Ford Bronco II
GRY,2 DR
A
0​
22E010
$200
undmg
Standridge Auto Parts USA-NC(Shelby) Request_Quote 704-482-9571 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Fender
Ford Ranger
LOCAL USABLE GREY
X​
13-340
$75​
Marsh Auto Parts USA-NC(Siler-City) Request_Quote 800-742-4715 / 919-742-4715 / 877-663-1908 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Fender
Ford Bronco II
RH,Silver Ext,Paint Code=9Z,000
A
0​
21143I
$75
actual
Speedy's Used Parts- CAR, Green Recycled Parts USA-NC(Asheville) Request_Quote 800-222-5414 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Fender
Ford Ranger
RH/WHITE
A
0​
SX094
$75
undmg
Nine's Auto Parts USA-NC(Wake-Forest) Request_Quote 919-832-9549 /919-528-2513 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Fender
Ford Ranger
RH BLK
A
0​
SD233
$75
undmg
Nine's Auto Parts USA-NC(Wake-Forest) Request_Quote 919-832-9549 /919-528-2513 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Fender
Ford Ranger
RH GOLD
A
0​
SD302
$75
undmg
Live Chat
Fender
Ford Ranger
RH BLK FADED
A
0​
$75
undmg
Rigsbee Auto Parts USA-NC(Knightdale) Request_Quote 1-919-266-3333 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Fender
Ford Bronco II
NEW AFTER MARKET
X​
NEW110
$75​
G & N Used Auto Parts USA-NC(Rocky-Mount) Request_Quote 252-977-3710 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat

fixessaxes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the excellent all-around advice. There is a similar year truck sitting in the kudzu at a tire shop near me, I can probably start there.

I do have the foam headliner. Do I need to remove the windshield to remove the headliner through the hole, or can it fold/bend a bit and come through a door?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the excellent all-around advice. There is a similar year truck sitting in the kudzu at a tire shop near me, I can probably start there.

I do have the foam headliner. Do I need to remove the windshield to remove the headliner through the hole, or can it fold/bend a bit and come through a door?
They all one way or the other fit through the door or the rear hatch. If you have a 2dr truck, take it down, open the pass side door, and then drop the front of the headliner down to the floor, and maneuver it out the door with the front at the front lower part of the door, and the rear of the headliner up high at the upper rear part of the door opening. And then you usually have to twist it around as you go out to miss the open door.

You will not think it will come out of there, but it will. I have found a wire brush the best for getting the old foam off. You have to clean it up really good so the new glue will stick and it will not be lumpy.

fixessaxes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you again for the excellent advice.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
I second car-part. Little helpful hint don’t hint for the “part” you need search for something every vehicle will have (that has the part you need). Then search through images to find the right piece/color you need.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
By the way, love that color combo on the Ranger! One of my favorites!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals