• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Ranger - seat belt has a belt lock or a pendulum lock?

fixessaxes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
1987 Ford Ranger, extended cab, 2wd. Trying to figure out if my seat belts need fixed/replaced. When I pull quickly on the belts, they don't auto-lock. Does this vehicle have a pendulum lock (activated by a sudden stop of the vehicle) instead of a centripetal/belt lock (activated by a quick pull on the belt)?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have never worked on a 1987 ranger, but other Fords around that year that I have worked on did have the pendulum lock. If you want to try it, find a ditch or a steep hill and park on that for a second, and then see if the seatbelt works. If it's the pendulum type, you will not be able to pull the belt out of the retractor while you are parked on the angle.

fixessaxes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Good idea, thank you. Maybe I can also just brake hard and see if they lock? Sure would be nice if it was a pendulum lock, looks like an expensive replacement if not.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Yes, braking hard will make the pendulum lock up also. Some of them also had a plastic lever in the door jamb that hit the door when the door was shut. That has something to do with it also if yours has that. If it does, make sure it's not broke off or missing.

Maybe the lever lets the belt retract even if you are on a hill, so when you get out the belt is not hanging loose and getting caught in the door when it shuts.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Yes, braking hard will make the pendulum lock up also. Some of them also had a plastic lever in the door jamb that hit the door when the door was shut. That has something to do with it also if yours has that. If it does, make sure it's not broke off or missing.

Maybe the lever lets the belt retract even if you are on a hill, so when you get out the belt is not hanging loose and getting caught in the door when it shuts.
Yes, the lever in the door jam is a release when the door is opened.

fixessaxes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the further info.

I watched this video
to understand what that little door switch did, and when I depress it I can hear the clicks, when it is not depressed (door open) the pull is smooth. So that mechanism is functioning. Can't get the belt to lock though, on a hill or from braking. Although now I also know my braking seems uneven, with the right passenger wheel chirping way before it seems like it should.

Seems like new belts might be the best thing to do, but since I will have to take the trim off anyhow to install new belts I guess I can do that first before ordering anything and see if I can lube things up a bit and free up that pendulum, if it is stuck.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just jerking on the belt hard enough or at a weird angle is enough to lock the belts on my 1985 B2.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals