• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 ranger lowering beams and brake upgrade

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
First off. Forgive me if this has been covered. I did search.

I've been looking at fixing the front suspension and making it level. Im looking at getting the DJM dream beams and getting new springs and shocks.
My main question comes from what kind of compatibility they have with upgraded dual piston brake calipers. I'd like to upgrade the brakes to dual pistons from a newer ranger. I know that on my 87 I will need to get I-beams along with spindles/ knuckles. My question is if the beams are able to stand in as that upgrade or if I need different beams. I'd like to be able to have the lowering beams in there done can upgrade the brakes: but at the cost I only want to do it once.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It has been well covered, you need to practice your searching some more. Will give you credit for attempting to post in the correct sub-forum, rather than just throwing it up in general discussions.

Let's make sure I'm reading your post correctly. Your front suspension is in rough shape and you are wanting to make some changes while you are fixing it. You say "making it level", but I assume you mean lower since you are asking about dream beams. While lowering it you want to upgrade the front brakes to dual piston calipers. Would this be correct?

Your last two sentences are throwing me off.

My question is if the beams are able to stand in as that upgrade or if I need different beams.
The DJM dream beams are a direct replacement for the stock beams, they just make the truck sit about 3" lower in the front.

As you seem to know, in order to use the dual piston calipers you will need to use the 89-97 I-beams and 95-97 steering knuckles. DJM makes two styles of Dream Beams for the Ranger, one for 83-88 models and the other for 89-97 models. Buy DJM Dream Beams for the 89-97. You can use them with the 95-97 knuckles and calipers to get the dual piston upgrade.

I'd like to be able to have the lowering beams in there done can upgrade the brakes: but at the cost I only want to do it once.
It sounds like you want to fix your front suspension and while you are in there you want to lower the truck, but you want to put the brake upgrade off for a later date? You want to make sure that the beams you buy now can be used with the upgrade then?

If that's the case get the 89-97 beams, a set of 89-94 knuckles, and use your stock calipers. Then when you get around to doing the brake upgrade all you'll need to do is install the 94-97 knuckles, calipers, and brackets.

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It has been well covered, you need to practice your searching some more. Will give you credit for attempting to post in the correct sub-forum, rather than just throwing it up in general discussions.

Let's make sure I'm reading your post correctly. Your front suspension is in rough shape and you are wanting to make some changes while you are fixing it. You say "making it level", but I assume you mean lower since you are asking about dream beams. While lowering it you want to upgrade the front brakes to dual piston calipers. Would this be correct?

Your last two sentences are throwing me off.

The DJM dream beams are a direct replacement for the stock beams, they just make the truck sit about 3" lower in the front.

As you seem to know, in order to use the dual piston calipers you will need to use the 89-97 I-beams and 95-97 steering knuckles. DJM makes two styles of Dream Beams for the Ranger, one for 83-88 models and the other for 89-97 models. Buy DJM Dream Beams for the 89-97. You can use them with the 95-97 knuckles and calipers to get the dual piston upgrade.

It sounds like you want to fix your front suspension and while you are in there you want to lower the truck, but you want to put the brake upgrade off for a later date? You want to make sure that the beams you buy now can be used with the upgrade then?

If that's the case get the 89-97 beams, a set of 89-94 knuckles, and use your stock calipers. Then when you get around to doing the brake upgrade all you'll need to do is install the 94-97 knuckles, calipers, and brackets.

Yeah, I found what I was looking for eventually. I just had to read a bit more. Thank you for your patience as I newb it up here.

Yes, the front is messed up from when someone cut the springs in the front and lowered the rear. It looks goofy and bounces badly.

I would like to hold off on the brake upgrade. I'm debating if it's even worth it I may put a different motor (2.3L turbo) in there which is my motivation for dual caliper. That wont be for a while though.

I assume I can't use the stock 87 spindles and calipers with the 89 beams? Basically I have a fair amount that needs doing on the truck and would like to just buy as little as possible while I make up my mind or work on other parts that are needed. I do like that the knuckles are only $75 per side via ebay $60 for the 95.

I think I may just go for the upgrade. May as well do it even though I literally just got remaned calipers for stock that haven't been hooked up yet. I may just put those on ebay and sell them for what I can.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would like to hold off on the brake upgrade... would like to just buy as little as possible while I make up my mind or work on other parts that are needed
You can do that and still get the later model Dream Beams. You will not be able to use the 87 knuckle with the 89+ beams, but you can use 89-94 knuckles instead. Those later knuckles will work with your new remaned calipers and existing brake components. That would save you from having to get calipers, pads and rotors right now.

Then when you get ready to upgrade it's just a matter of swapping to 95-97 knuckles, calipers, rotors, and pads. You'd already have the later model beams installed, won't have to buy them twice.

It's all up to you, I'm just throwing out some options.

Check on car-part.com for used steering knuckles in your area. I did a quick search for Washington state and saw the 89-94 style knuckles as low as $35 per side. Didn't check, but the 95-97 is probably close to the same.

Gregin30655

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger GT
Transmission
Manual
When you use the later model beams and knuckles, how much does it change the track width? Is in .75"?
I am ordering wheels and tires when I order the drop kit (a djm kit for 89+ for an 88 and 95 knuckles and brakes) and I need to be sure I calculate offset correctly.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It shouldn't, but I've never actually measured it. My truck is also in pieces, so I can't exactly go out and check it for you.

You'd really be better off starting a new thread to ask questions like this, instead of posting in one that's over 4 years old.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals